Low water McKenzie wading spots

F
Fast Eddie
I am new to the area and I have been having some success on the Mac until the water started going down last week. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go when the water gets a little lower like it has been doing. I am Fly-Fishing and will be wading (unless someone has an open spot on a boat). Feel free to PM me with any suggestions for the Mac or anything within a 40 min drive of Eugene.

Y
Youngfishermen
Hey I had the same question, I live in clackamas and I used to have lot's of sucess on the willamete river unitl the water went down. I don't even get bits anymore. I usually catch carp,bass,and crappie, bluegill. So I'm going to wait till water comes back .

F
Fast Eddie
The fish have to still be there somewhere. Logic would say they would be easier to catch because there are fewer places for them to be but that does not seem to be working and logic has failed me many times in the past. I am just looking for good spots to target as I think the water this year is going to keep getting lower.

N
neverbackdown7
I'm not sure about what the best spots would be for wading, but I do know that with the water getting low and clear like this, you're going to want to go stealth. Maybe even try to avoid wading and wear drab colored clothes. It makes it very difficult. Using small submerged presentations might be best. As a fly fisher, you have a huge advantage in putting natural looking bait in front of the fish. Definitely look for shaded areas as well. Good luck!

jamisonace
jamisonace
For steelhead I suggest going to dam and fishing around the hatchery. I caught my first dozen or so steelhead on a fly rod in that water. Lots of good holding water even when its low. You'll see where people like to fish around there and you'll figure it out pretty quick.

For trout, go up deerhorn starting at hendricks bridge. Explore the area and you'll find some good water and good access.

Take waders, the water is cold and you'll want to be able to move around in it.

R
rippin fish lips
Deerhorn road for trout. Steel at the damn. Armitage for trout/steel still especially if your looking for a super hot fish. Harvest for trout. Great fly water and lots of it.

E
eugene1
If you don't mind fishing the Willy, Alton Baker and D street have some nice water for steel that is accessible for bank fishermen. Water levels look really good for those spots right now too.

Best,

F
Fast Eddie
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went up Deerhorn yesterday and slayed them. When they weren't taking dries they were all over the nymphs. I even caught my first Mountain Whitefish.

S
SteelyStalker12
I second all of the great info! I am hoping water conditions will improve by the time I get there, but beggers can't e choosers. FastEddie, if you'd like to try and do some exploring in August when I FINALLY arrive, send me a PM! I think figuring out water is a great experience! Let me know!