2nd trip with new boat any advice for the McKenzie

B
bigd610
Really new to operating a drift boat this is only our second time out. The first we took the Willamette from Beltline to Marshall Island and it was a breeze. Anybody have any advise as to where to float from we are mainly targeting trout thinking of the easiest water we could manage without many obsticles. Or if anybody has any spots I should watch out for let me know. Thank you.

Troutski
Troutski
Reading the Water....

Reading the Water....

I have in my possession a very cool DVD that I can loan you, it is put out by a Drift boat Guru. Teaches you what not to do on the water, how to read the water and how to correct not over correct. Where do you call home? Shoot me a PM and we can set something up, extremely informative and could very well save your boat.
Tight lines and be safe on the water..

Chuck

R
rippin fish lips
Troutski said:
I have in my possession a very cool DVD that I can loan you, it is put out by a Drift boat Guru. Teaches you what not to do on the water, how to read the water and how to correct not over correct. Where do you call home? Shoot me a PM and we can set something up, extremely informative and could very well save your boat.
Tight lines and be safe on the water..

Chuck

NICE OFFer.

F
fishingduck
Guided the McKenzie for 25yrs. There is really no obsticle free float but my favorite is Helfrich to EWEB. Easy to read water, not too many turns, minimal gravel corners and just about every class 1 ripple holds fish. This time of year focus on deeper (drk green) water, shade and behind boulders for trout. Just got back and we got about 15-20 each. This time of year the planters are still too small to keep, so lip hood and release so they can grow. Late July these planters will be 15-18 inches.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Hayden bridge to Harvest Lane....doesn't get easier, good fishing and short. Just don't miss the turn into the side channel where the ramp is or you'll be pulling out at armitage another 4 or 5 miles down.

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
Hayden bridge to Harvest Lane....doesn't get easier, good fishing and short. Just don't miss the turn into the side channel where the ramp is or you'll be pulling out at armitage another 4 or 5 miles down.

Bingo

P
plumb2fish
Pretty sure you have my # in your pms, give me a call and you can either follow me down the drift of your choice, or I will go with you and give ya some input, or get us through any difficult sections.
Mike

H
HootYeah
Someone really needs to write a short book on floating the Mckenzie and the places you need to be careful of! I'd buy it! A friend I used to float with used to brief new people that got in the boat with a very simple idea, "If my boat is sideways when going down rapids, something is wrong and hold on, Ill fix it" Its a pretty common sense idea that I tell new people in my boat every time. The only time I've seen people fall out of the boat and hurt themselves was when they are going down a small series of rapids and the boat gets turned sideways and there is no since of urgency in their actions. Plop. Saw a guy last summer break his collar bone on the willamette from this exact scenario... Just be aware and prepared! :-D

J
joem
HootYeah said:
Someone really needs to write a short book on floating the Mckenzie and the places you need to be careful of! I'd buy it! A friend I used to float with used to brief new people that got in the boat with a very simple idea, "If my boat is sideways when going down rapids, something is wrong and hold on, Ill fix it" Its a pretty common sense idea that I tell new people in my boat every time. The only time I've seen people fall out of the boat and hurt themselves was when they are going down a small series of rapids and the boat gets turned sideways and there is no since of urgency in their actions. Plop. Saw a guy last summer break his collar bone on the willamette from this exact scenario... Just be aware and prepared! :-D

Seen 2 guys flip out right before the pressure hole. College kids thought they were cool standing up bang hit a rock and in the water they went. There first .mistake was going sown the wrong aide though