Best floats on McKenzie for trout?

4runnerneal
I want to take a couple kids out in the drift boat soon. What are the best floats to do on the McKenzie for trout this time of year?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Taylor's landing to Hendricks bridge

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
Taylor's landing to Hendricks bridge

And they put gravel at the bottom of the ramp at hendricks bridge. So now you can pull into the pool on the backside of the ramp into the nice eddie it created. If your experienced enough you could go from deer horn ramp to hendricks. Its like a 13 mile float tho. 6 hours+ depending on fishing time.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Deer horn down is good but with kids its a long float. I learned that lesson with my boys already.

4runnerneal
Any hazards on that stretch of the McKenzie to look out for?

B
bran_man
Depends if you are looking for the notorious resides and wild fish for catch and release or for some planter keepers.for keepers, best bet its around below the dam all the way down to Hendricks. Most everything Hendricks and below will be mainly native/wild fish catch and release. They put a ton of pellet heads in below the dam last week.can't keep em off the line! Honestly for taking kids trout fishing,I would do leaburg dam to Greenwood. Its a relatively short float (fast if you want it to to be) and it's a really easy/calm float for the most part. Just make sure you're up to speed with the regs cause it's changes throughout the Mac...

4runnerneal
Thank you for the info! I just c/r trout, hope to catch a couple tomorrow!

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
Deer horn down is good but with kids its a long float. I learned that lesson with my boys already.

True that. Very good point.