Steelhead on the Mckenzie

R
rippin fish lips
plumb2fish said:
You can not get out on Belnap rock from the bank without tresspassing on Terry's land above the high water mark.. Up until 3 years ago, this was not an issue.... As long as you packed out your trash and were respectful, you were allowed access.....That changed when someone threatened the land owner when asked to clean up their trash and to not use his yard as an outhouse....now if you are caught above the highwater mark on the bedrock corner...prepare to talk to a state patrol or county sherriff and be cited for trespassing. It is posted at the top of the hill "Private Road No Trespassing" as well as all over in the trees near the river.

There are usually several garbage bags hanging in various spots along the bank placed there by those of us that fish the area a lot in hopes that people will at least have the courtesy to put their trash in them instead of on the ground. Bring an extra bag with you, pack out a full one and toss it in the can near the outhouse...karma is a good thing when fishing.....

Yup

B
Bgunder
Thanks for all the input guys I am confident I will get my firts steelie this summer on the Mac and although this thread went a little off subject by the end I am happy to hear that there are other people on the river who clean up after themselves.If anyone ever wants to hit the river sometime let me know.I work at the Cabela's in springfield so I always have the resources to go.(Probably too much fishing stuff if theres such a thing :)

D
dtikey
Bgunder said:
Thanks for all the input guys I am confident I will get my firts steelie this summer on the Mac and although this thread went a little off subject by the end I am happy to hear that there are other people on the river who clean up after themselves.If anyone ever wants to hit the river sometime let me know.I work at the Cabela's in springfield so I always have the resources to go.(Probably too much fishing stuff if theres such a thing :)

never ener ever have to much.its just a supply for later

P
plumb2fish
Bgunder,
Sorry for getting off topic....The hatchery hole you are asking about, if you know where the adult steelhead trap is located....continue past the trap and pull into the first parking area on your right. Follow the trail that is directly behind the picnic table...you will walk along a cyclone fence next to the separator pond. You do not want to fish off of the second "jetty" below the hatchery creek(outflow from raceways and trap)...fishing right where the creek drops in to the river or anywhere other than the previously mentioned " second jetty" ...the reason you don't want to fish off of this rock point is that you will spook holding fish and have no way of landing something if you hook up....my suggestion is to go up and observe the way the guys up there are fishing ....ask some questions of the ones that are not obviously snagging and then decide what type of technique you plan to use and find a place up there where that technique will not interfere with the others fishing the hole or run and rip some lips.....

Last edited: