Lakes Green Peter Reservoir Fishing Reports

C
capblack
the thistle creek lot was full on a wednesday?? thats surprising to me, i hardly see it full on the weekends, but i like to launch around 6am, that way its not crowded, and when i head home around 4 pm the lot is full, but the ramp isn't busy. sounds like fishing is still slow, dont think ill get back out until after memorial day anyways, after that it should start getting better.

F
fphowell
Yesterday I went to a Kokanne seminar by Kent Cannon at the Wholesale sporting goods store and he said that Greenpeters is going to be late this year due to the high snow pack. He also stated that Wikiup has already "turned over" and was head of schedule and producing now. I also went on line and bought his book "The Kokanne Obession" since he is local and a die hard koke fisherman it's a must have.

J
joeyota
Anybody interested in thursday morning 5-12-11? I got a boat and nobody is in it.

C
capblack
Damn work is always getting in the way of fishing :( maybe ill call in sick. sick of work :lol:

J
joeyota
capblack said:
Damn work is always getting in the way of fishing :( maybe ill call in sick. sick of work :lol:

Fishing is more important!

C
capblack
joeyota said:
Fishing is more important!

i couldnt agree more, but work feeds my family. good luck if you decide to go, and be sure to let us know how you do!! it should be heating up at any time. can't wait to get back, Brian

O
Oregonite
What time r u hittin' the water?

J
joeyota
Oregonite said:
What time r u hittin' the water?

Depends if I get any body else that wants to go. I got to be in eugene by 5pm tomarrow. That is my only time that is set.

J
joeyota
I am going to set my alarm for 430 in the morning and see if I can pull myself out of bed. I am shooting to get there around 8am.

J
joeyota
I will be headed out shortly. Hope I can find the kokes today! If anyone is in the area and wants to fish. Joe

Last edited:
J
joeyota
The lake was just like glass first thing this morning. It did have lots of sticks and logs though. I ended the day with a limmit of trout and one koke. I lost count of how many trout I released. I just couldnt find the kokes today. I fished around the island and the shallows at the top and inbetween, I even went down by the dam at the end of the day.

troutdude
troutdude
Nice report. Sounds like a great day on the H20.

What kind of size were the trout?

J
joeyota
troutdude said:
Nice report. Sounds like a great day on the H20.

What kind of size were the trout?

The trout were nothing to brag about looked like they could have been planted last week. The one koke was twice the size of any of the trout. I can't wait to get into some good kokinee fishing this year!

I forgot to mention water temp. My fishfinder was reading 48 to 50 f. I think that my temp reads a couple of degrees on the cold side though.

Does water tmp mean anything for kokinee?

troutdude
troutdude
Absolutely. Right now, they're on / near the surface in the warmer water (as are the trout). But, when summer kicks into gear they go deeper...often 80' and more.

BTW, just heard from buddy who lives in Sweet Home and used to work @ Dan Dee Sporting Goods. Guys are beginning to haul 18 & 19" kokes out of GP! If you ever have an empty seat, I'd be happy to chase 'em with ya.

Troutski
Troutski
Oregonite said:
Hey Oregonite here! I'm new to the forum and looking forward to some good conversation. Has anyone fished Green Peter this year? Last year I did really good early in the year around this time. The Kokes were hanging anywhere from 10 to 20ft. using a silver flasher and pink squid with a piece of white corn. See ya on the water:dance:

Cool place to live, both those lakes produce some great fish...I am partial to Foster, love the Smallies along the Dam..Smallies on an Ultra Lite, a perfect day in my opinion. Any way I get lost to often on GP, those arms and fingers start to look the same after battling the wind chop:lol: at 0hduskthirty
Welcome to the site, lots of member inter action and helpful suggestions. Except for Grillmaster...this one is a borderline Fishaholic to be sure;).
Enjoy the site and again welcome to OFF..

Chuck

J
joeyota
troutdude said:
Absolutely. Right now, they're on / near the surface in the warmer water (as are the trout). But, when summer kicks into gear they go deeper...often 80' and more.

BTW, just heard from buddy who lives in Sweet Home and used to work @ Dan Dee Sporting Goods. Guys are beginning to haul 18 & 19" kokes out of GP! If you ever have an empty seat, I'd be happy to chase 'em with ya.

A cooler packed with 18" kokes sounds great! I will let you know next time I head that way. If they realy turn on and start biting good I will be making the run after work when I can. Let me know when you are ready!

F
Fishman55
Slow-slow fishing day, but the weather was very cooperative with little to no wind which is unusual for GP.

Fished about 5 hours with my grandson and his new pole and his Mom and Dad and had a great time. Caught a 14 inch rainbow right out of Whitcomb Creek launch and thought for a while we were in for some action. Not to be. My son and I both were skunked, but my grandson caught two small bows and his mom caught the 14 incher. So, we had a great time and next time I'll pay more attention to my free fishing calendar for my iphone that told me fishing would be slow. I guess I need to go out one day next week when the app claims fishing will be good and see how good my fishing calendar is.

troutdude
troutdude
I caught 4 trout and a koke in the Quartzville Creek arm of Green Peter.

How deep were you fishing? The fish are VERY close to the surface.

K
ketts05
I had mixed luck Friday and Saturday as well. On Friday my girlfriend and I headed up, stopped at the far side of GP dam and fished for about an hour. I hooked a little trout on my second cast and she got one fish to chase (we were fishing spinners and kastmasters). We headed up the Quartzville arm of the lake and again had fish hit but never actually a solid hook-up although surface action was hot although I'm not sure what they were feeding on as there was nothing obvious just a few (very few) small caddis. I had brought my fly rod but no flies that day.
Saturday I did remember flies and we headed up Quartzville Creek a little farther, stopped at a few places that looked promising but were totally skunked. Interestingly on Saturday we saw NO surface action on any part of the creek but both days we managed to haul out a garbage bag worth of trash left behind.
On a related note, up the Quartzville arm just before the river starts to get rocky, where it is just part of the lake, we noticed 15-20 large carp swimming around in the river, rolling on their sides and just kinda hanging out. Anyone ever seen carp at that lake before? Or up the creek? Does anyone know if its spawning behavior? We tried in vain to hook one but we weren't set up for it.
Hoping to head up there maybe tomorrow afternoon before the weather turns again, but that's up to the boss.

troutdude
troutdude
ketts05 said:
On a related note, up the Quartzville arm just before the river starts to get rocky, where it is just part of the lake, we noticed 15-20 large carp swimming around in the river, rolling on their sides and just kinda hanging out. Anyone ever seen carp at that lake before? Or up the creek? Does anyone know if its spawning behavior? We tried in vain to hook one but we weren't set up for it.
Hoping to head up there maybe tomorrow afternoon before the weather turns again, but that's up to the boss.

Yep. I have seen carp before...in that very same spot. IDK, if that rollin' around is a spawning thing or not. But, they are in there pretty thick.

BTW, not much lower than that spot is where I caught my fish on Saturday. There was quite a bit of surface action and many jumpers/rollers. All trout as near as I could tell. But, there was a school of kokes in there too. I saw them several times, and even brought one home.

Top Bottom