Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lookout Res. and Dexter Res. (Lowell, Oregon)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookout Res. and Dexter Res. (Lowell, Oregon)

Fishing sucked at Lookout today and Dexter Res wasn't much better.
    Lookout is very low but i thought I'd give it a shot. Fished and dam and halfway down the lake and caught one small kokanee so I retreated back to Dexter that had been pretty decent recently though squawfish are out of control. 2 trout and 5 squawfish later I gave up. We now refer to fishing at Dexter as a fertilizer run because all those squaws are pushing up daisies in my garden. I managed to limit out several weeks ago at Dexter but also took 10 squaws on that trip.

Maybe you can set up a roadside "fertilizer stand"; and make bank? [not sure, though, if that would be legal]

Comment

Fall Creek Res...

Have you ever tried Fall Creek Res, pretty close in and does offer a very strong population of Rainbow... Early AM to about noon, slow troll rather deep will put you in to some very nice fish... The Jet/water skiers start around then (noonish) so I give them the lake...
      Tight lines and enjoy the water...

Chuck

Comment

I used to enjoy fishing at Fall Creek Res but the water skiers drove me crazy. There could be 2 boats on the entire lake and they'd just have to come over and drag their skier or raft full of squealing kids right by me so they had an audience for their "Fun".

Comment

I went back to Dexter and Lookout last week, fish have lockjaw on lookout and I caught more squaws than trout again on Dexter. 4 to 1.

Comment

What species are you targeting ? If you are on the hunt for the Landlocked Chinook this time of year they are in schools in deep water, my personal record for the Chinook in that lake is 19.5 inches.
            The Trout are typically in the water surrounding any incoming water, where the Middle Fork comes in is the place to be.
            The Crappie seem to like quick drop offs around all those little inlets(bays) that surround the entire lake, I prefer the area around School creek.
            The Walleye have eluded me for the past two years, still trying and trying.. ODFW seems to think the likelihood that they will reproduce is very high.
            All and all Lookout Point is a great lake to learn, keep a very actuate log, it has paid me back so much over the years.

Tight lines...

Chuck

Comment

I love lookout, I'll try moving East and let you know what I find.

Comment

Too bad army corps of eng won't return the floating dock to the launch due to previous "Dickhead" activity in the area. Hurts fishermen and the "dickheads" remain unaffected.

Comment

I know, a few bad apples do stick up the barrow, as for Lookout Point; its July and the lake is way down. The fish don't care treat the lake as if it is full and you will find the fish. It is a tough lake to learn but the rewards are worth it. If you find yourself down by the dam in the early evening troll a trout setup in a figure 8 pattern in a North to South direction...

Tight lines

Chuck

Comment

Fished Dexter yesterday afternoon.
                    Heard trout action was picking up.
                    Missed a couple but caught 3 fat 13 inchers. (and 1 squawfish that is pushing up daisies )
                    Spinnerfly with a piece of worm trolled at 4 feet at the west end of the lake. (Jet boat races going on now so don't bother until at least next week.

Comment

Decent lookin' truck trout, right there. And that nasty ol' squawfish; is right where it belongs.

Comment

Spent a nice Sunday afternoon at Dexter reservoir.
                        The wife and I limited out on stocked trout in about 3 hours trolling spinner flies with worm at about 6-9 feet.
                        Caught 2 tagged fish.
                        I noticed many of the trout had their front fins clipped or chewed off. I wonder if that's because the fires delayed stocking and the fish were too crowded in the tank?

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic day. And the weather was eggscellent!

Are those tagged fish, worth a bounty from ODFW?

If any were released--due to the fires--I would doubt that there was time, to clip any fins. So we'll just place the blame; on freshwater seals.

Comment

Just got around to looking at the tags. One of them was a $50 reward tag!
                            Excellent, that helps cover what is becoming a ridiculously high license fee.

Comment

Thatís just to cool, 50$ for fishing.. does this mean you are now a Pro?

tight lines
                              Chuck

Comment

It means those fish will taste that much better after I smoke them up

Comment

Originally posted by Banjo View Post
                                  Spent a nice Sunday afternoon at Dexter reservoir.
                                  The wife and I limited out on stocked trout in about 3 hours trolling spinner flies with worm at about 6-9 feet.
                                  Caught 2 tagged fish.
                                  I noticed many of the trout had their front fins clipped or chewed off. I wonder if that's because the fires delayed stocking and the fish were too crowded in the tank?
                                  Same here. Every single one had damaged fin in the front.

Comment

Did anyone get a picture of the area on the fish that the fin was missing, or do you know which fin it was...

Chuck

Comment

The damaged fins were the lower front fins.
                                      I saw on the most recent trip that the fins had grown back out to a degree on the more mature fish.

Comment

Thanks for you input, ODFW is checking on these fish..
                                        thanks again!

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                        X