Freeway lakes trout fishing

A
astromech_kuhns
Hey all,

I have been fishing in freeway lakes a lot lately, its very close and fun to catch fish in there, the only thing i have caught is trout so far. Im set to go to clear lake the 22nd and 23rd of this month and stay in a cabin. I plan on catching some trout there! i have enjoyed fishing very much so far! when it warms up a bit ill be going to foster as well.

I was wondering, in freeway lakes, all i have caught is trout, and i have been fishing only in the main, eastern lake. i have hear there is bass, crappie, and bluegill in these lakes though, i was wondering, if this is true, what is the best way to go about catching any of these three fish vs the trout ive been catching? i have been fishing from the bottom with powerbait so far to catch the trout but never caught anything besides the trout. is there a different method to use to catch these other fish and is the other two lakes better to catch the other fish in than the eastern lake?

Thanks, any info is appreciated!

Kolton

C_Run
C_Run
My same questions. I only went there once late last summer in a kayak. The east lake was very weedy then but the middle and west ones were quite nice and not too weedy. I never caught anything in four hours but I did spook a couple of big bass in the middle lake. I don't really know what I'm doing. Never did find the crappie I heard were in there. I want to go back and give it another chance this summer. There are some trails you can get to at least part of the west lake but it seems to be mostly private property over there. I hope someone with more information chimes in. Good luck.

troutdude
troutdude
I've fished there, OFF & on, since the 70's. In the east lake (east of Freeway Lakes road, often called the "main" lake), I've only seen trout & carp caught.

The middle lake (between the Freeway Lakes road bridge, and I-5), I've only seen trout taken. And only by the bridge. However, there are probably warm water species in that section. But it gets VERY weedy, when the weather warms.

The far western lake (only lake west of I-5), has always had reports of bass, crappie and bluegill. I've only pulled 'gills out of it. There are often bass boats on that lake.

WORD: be careful going under I-5, or walking the perimeter to go under. There is poison oak EVERYWHERE.

Good luck.

N
nixerx
I was out there last week. It was super murky. like it was filled with coffee. Does it clear up?

18406ej
18406ej
C_Run said:
I don't really know what I'm doing.

C_Run,

I know what you are really doing. You are on the Forum trying to learn techniques to improve your catch rate. You are being humble, and most importantly you are being honest and open. You will learn and be teaching others in no time.

Sincerely,

Eamon

A
astromech_kuhns
I went and explored the other lakes today, second one is very weedy, third does not have a lot of access if your not on a boat.

Tomorrow is my day off, 1 week before i go to clear lake, im considering going to either EE wilson, or maybe foster lake.... I would have to buy a parking permit of EE wilson, and honestly, looking at the maps confuses the crap out of me as how to get in there to the pond, or even exactly where it is at....

Is foster decent for bank fishing? much access? is it worth it to drive out there at this time?

Thanks, Kolton.

troutdude
troutdude
Freeway is always super murkey...at least the middle and western lakes. The eastern lake, has a small creek flowing in and seems to stay a bit clearer. Cooler, and oxygenated water is why the trout primarily stay in that lake. A lack of both, is why the other lakes get weedy, and support bass and panfish.

There's LOTS of bank access at Foster. EE Wilson, is not hard to find. But, I wouldn't pay to park there anymore.

C_Run
C_Run
18406ej said:
C_Run,

I know what you are really doing. You are on the Forum trying to learn techniques to improve your catch rate. You are being humble, and most importantly you are being honest and open. You will learn and be teaching others in no time.

Sincerely,

Eamon

Well, I do know a few things about some kinds of fishing. Especially after two years on this board, I feel like I have earned an Associates Degree in fishing. Warm water species, fly fishing, carp, I know nothing but just marvel at those who do.

A
astromech_kuhns
Well went to foster today and caught 4 trout. regular size, was pretty fun though, add that plus all 3 of the freeway lakes ive explored and im starting to get a little collection of places to fish, "little" being the key word there. clear lakes will be a nice one to add to my list next week though!
Foster 4-16-13.jpg

H
HRxPaperStacks
Freeway lakes used to be decent for bass. The problem is that it's pretty hard to catch bass in such murky water. It never really clears up. I've fished it since I was a kid. I would say probably your best options are top water, or a dark colored spinnerbait, and if those fail, a nice creature bait like a baby brush hawg is a good idea. This is spawning season, so the big ones will be moving up from the depths to the shallows to spawn. anything that could be an intruder is gonna be awesome. You're targeting the hens here. Maybe run a weedless frog over some weeds. Let me know how it goes!

H
HRxPaperStacks
astromech_kuhns said:
im considering going to either EE wilson, or maybe foster lake.... I would have to buy a parking permit of EE wilson, and honestly, looking at the maps confuses the crap out of me as how to get in there to the pond, or even exactly where it is at....
QUOTE]

E.E. Wilson is also an awesome choice for trout. I've heard that there's bass in there but I've never seen any bigger than a few ounces in the very shallows, but the water looks super bassy. It's really easy to get back but watch out for mosquito season. My bro and I got legit attacked by over 100 once. But here's how you get there:
When you go down camp adair rd, pull off into the parking lot that has the chain link fence leading down an asphault trail. go down the trail until it ends and go left. Walk down that until you see a brown wooden sign that points to the pond. follow that to the pond. There are 2. I'm pretty sure the big one that everyone fishes is the one they stock with trout, and the one to the left probably has more bass. I have a little inflatable kayak that I intend on taking out there sometime this summer.

J
juggernaut506
I grew up close to Freeway Lakes and currently live less then two miles from it. Sometimes I go out there when I'm bored with the boat to land a few quick bass but now I have other places close by I actually enjoy fishing more. I was there one day when a kid landed a bass pushing 8 pounds right at the boat ramp. There are plenty of huge bass in there. If I give away how to catch them one of my buddies who likes fishing for them would get pissed. Good Luck! They're out there!

L
lilsalmon
I am soooo bored today. Sick of rain and no fishing. Might take my rod over to Freeway lake just for $hits and giggles....:)

H
HRxPaperStacks
lilsalmon said:
I am soooo bored today. Sick of rain and no fishing. Might take my rod over to Freeway lake just for $hits and giggles....:)
Do IT! And please post results. It might be a good idea to pop a jig around around some of the cover around there.

Reactions: lilsalmon
L
lilsalmon
HRxPaperStacks said:
Do IT! And please post results. It might be a good idea to pop a jig around around some of the cover around there.

Wow, last time I was there it looked kind of swampy....today it was very nice. There were a few people there fishing as it was just stocked. Talked to a couple of nice guys for a bit. I don't know much about stillwater fishing but thought I would put one of my unused bass flies on.....dang wind. Cast a few times and gave up. Note to self....wear shoes appropriate for hiking around a pond in order to get the wind at my back. Anywho, it was nice to get out in the nice weather....was supposed to be crappy. Should have been at the river. A few trout were caught...nice ones too. Here is my pic....

P4191053.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
One more word about Freeway Lakes. After two hours of bait fishing, with clear mono line...it turned green. I have not eaten any fish from there, ever since. C & R only for me.

L
lilsalmon
you sure it wasn't chartreuse color? hehehe. I wouldn't eat them anyway...only from a river. I took my old rod......no way I would use my Echo and Rio line in there. I want a bass so tomorrow I might go after work and walk the trail....I just know nuttin about bass fishing. :confused:

troutdude
troutdude
Good luck tomorrow.

If you do get one, or two, should we start calling you Lilbass?

H
HRxPaperStacks
I think I'm gonna hit up Simpson pond in my kayak this week (sun/mon). Hopefully I'll catch a fatty for my avatar pic!