Empire Lakes?

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
is this the lake in Coos Bay,if so why no reports?
is it fishable? is it legal to fish? are the fish edible?
its so close to where i am right now and I WANT TO FISH...:D

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
ok nobody knows about this place......great, i,ll have the place to myself.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Dude go there and tell us how it is. Next time on the coast im gonna fish some of the lakes.

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
will do

T
TTFishon
According to the book there's yellow perch, bluegill, LM bass, black crappie, brown bullhead, and is heavily stocked with catchable trout, brooders, and surplus steelhead.

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
:clap::clap::dance::dance::lol:good,i,ll be there.:cool:

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
well i tried out empire lakes today,started at 8.30 at the lower lake,nothing happening
there,until 11am when fish started to rise,too far out for my casting.
moved on to the middle lake and after changing from worms to a rooster tail,Wham
a nice 13 inch rainbow trout ,first of the year,ready for cooking now.
also got a small one (under size) but it released itself as i got it to the bank.
So it has good signs and it gets stocked in march apparently.
so not bad for a boring sunday.
tony.

T
TTFishon
scottishsmokedsalmon said:
well i tried out empire lakes today,started at 8.30 at the lower lake,nothing happening
there,until 11am when fish started to rise,too far out for my casting.
moved on to the middle lake and after changing from worms to a rooster tail,Wham
a nice 13 inch rainbow trout ,first of the year,ready for cooking now.
also got a small one (under size) but it released itself as i got it to the bank.
So it has good signs and it gets stocked in march apparently.
so not bad for a boring sunday.
tony.

Cool. That's a good sign. Do you bass fish?

C
Coastal
I get to Empire lakes now and then, since it's like 5 minutes from my house :). There is good bank fishing as there are lots of pathways around it. You actually have two lakes, I mostly fish the lower one. It also gets a healthy stocking of trout several times a year, including "trophy" size. Check the ODFW site for stocking schedule. Most people including me fish with powerbait off the bottom. I've caught some trolling around, too, as well as on rooster tails and probably about anything you can cast. I don't target anything else but there are probably panfish, and some small bass. If you have a little inflatable raft, you've got it made. That's what I use. It probably doesn't get over 15' deep in 99% of the lower lake, most of it is less than that. I can't really say on the upper lake, but the upper seems overall deeper. Here's a pic of the kids from last spring, after a couple hours in the raft:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Great job X2

Great job X2

SSS;
Great job slaying the skunk that's been riding around on your back for a while! :clap: Those fish don't stand a chance now.

Coastal;
Welcome to the forum! Great way to start out here with the nice contribution of info. That's a great attitude,helping others get into fish in unfamiliar water. Again,welcome to our lil family.

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
ttf,no ive never tried bass fishing,but always willing to learn.
and welcome coastal ,mabye see you down at the lakes sometime,

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
scottishsmokedsalmon said:
ttf,no ive never tried bass fishing,but always willing to learn.
and welcome coastal ,mabye see you down at the lakes sometime,

Well, I'm looking forward to more reports. If you take up bass fishing I'm sure you know there are a lot of bass fisherman on this site willing to help.

C
Coastal
Thanks for the welcome, and I like to help where I can. I mostly like to learn on my own, but I'm finding sites like this really help with the lack of time we all have. I live in North Bend, so if anyone has questions or wants to get together for fishing, just let me know.

Scottish (?) maybe I'll see you at bimart in the fishing section, I spend way too much time there :lol:

Reactions: OnTheFly
S
scottishsmokedsalmon
im the one being dragged out by my wife,telling me i dont need more
stuff.

Q
QWCS
About 5 or 6 years ago a lady pulled a 10lb bass outta Empire Lakes on a nightcrawler. I saw a picture of it at The Bites On tackle shop in the Empire district of Coos Bay.

The lake is mostly a hatchery rainbow fishery and is very popular with local children right after stockings. But there are some bass in there. I have caught a few yellow perch and bluegill by accident as well.

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
Welcome QWCS,good to see more coos county people showing up here,could be we can orginise a coastal OFF meetup soon,and thanks for the info about the lake.

W
womanwhofishes
yes its true I cannot let my Scot go into a bi-mart alone..
I am still a skunk..but soon.

W
womanwhofishes
ps .. he is the one with a accent ..

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
:clap:stocking empire lakes next week,3000 in each lake......can't wait.:dance::clap::dance::pray:

C
Coastal
SA-WEET! I heard that was happening, so I put a couple little patches on my raft to get all ready. And charged up the battery for the trolling motor so I can hit Tenmile, Eel, and Saunders lakes. Can't wait to get the kids back out on the water. Part of me wants rain for more steelhead, but part of me wants sunshine so I can enjoy a lazy day on the water hammering those rainbows!

On the other hand - it is just about spring turkey season - oops, wrong forum!

I think I got it: womanwhofishes=no accent! Scottish = accent! I'll be keeping my ears open at Bimart and the lake!