Wilson report from 1-09

E
Explorer21
Hit the Wilson yesterday in the amazing rain we are finally getting. Thank the gods. Went to one of my favorite fishing holes on the river. Fished it hard with my buddy for about an hour, and decide i was going to walk down to the end of the hole. I'm standing on a large rock listening to the rain hitting my jacket. Suddenly i hear a branch break behind me so i look back and see nothing, just to turn my head back around and my bobber is gone. By the time i focus i see my bobber under water as if i snagged bottom and it pops back up before i could set the hook. Thinking to myself i know i'm not hitting bottom, i just missed a take down. I cast to the same drift nothing happens, again and the bobber is sucked under and fish on!!! This powerful fish i just hooked into starting taking line and my pole is jerking hard. As i turn my head and yell up stream fish on, i catch the end of the tail after the fish just jumped. 30seconds of fighting and BOOM snaps my 12lb line like its nothing. I re rig and head back to that spot pissed that i lost a fish. after two casts a jack salmon pitch black jumps 2 feet in front of me 3 feet out of the water. Then i see the splash of the fish i hooked into and broke off on jump about 100yards downstream.

Continued fishing there and many other holes with no other hits.

R
_RJ_
Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck, i feel ya. I went to the wilson today 1/10. Water was great, I just didn't interest any fish. I was swinging a purple moal leech. I even tried swinging an egg with leech trailer. I even nymphed and didn't get a bite. I got one grab on the swing with a pink pick yer pocket below the narrows. I'm bummed it's going to be so stormy this weekend. I don't mind bad weather but the high wind gusts, no thanks. I don't want to be smashed like a pancake.

B
Berg03
Thats rough! but it happens sadly... I will be hitting the Wilson on sunday! hope to not get to wet.

E
Everglades
_RJ_ said:
Sorry to hear you didn't have much luck, i feel ya. I went to the wilson today 1/10. Water was great, I just didn't interest any fish. I was swinging a purple moal leech. I even tried swinging an egg with leech trailer. I even nymphed and didn't get a bite. I got one grab on the swing with a pink pick yer pocket below the narrows. I'm bummed it's going to be so stormy this weekend. I don't mind bad weather but the high wind gusts, no thanks. I don't want to be smashed like a pancake.

I am sort of glad to hear other experienced fisherman can hit this outrageously pretty river and go fishless. I missed all the high water of last week... boo hoo ... and hit it on MLK day - and saw about a dozen other guys on the lower river. Fishing river in what I would consider very low and clear conditions for winter - maybe running about 8 or 900 cfs. My first time fly fishing for steelhead (single hand rod) I had one take on a black egg leech in a small pocket eddy in the shade. Lost the fish in about 2 sec. no body else I talked to on the river was into fish that day. My buddy threw spinners for over 4 hours with no fish hooked or spotted either. I now consider Oregon the boot camp of fishing. But It won't slow me down any :)

R
_RJ_
Without rain fresh fish just aren't pushing up the system. Sure you'll hit a few here and there but were still in a drought so it's going to rough for a while. Whatever happened to the season called winter?

E
Everglades
I am praying for rain. literally praying. that is saying a lot. and however much selfish whining i do.... California has it way worse.
I should be praying for the farmers first then the poor ski resorts.... ha !