Baits for Crane Prairie?

portlandrain
portlandrain
I hope to catch bass mostly, but if they're not biting I'll go for trout. I'll be in a kayak. What kind of baits do people throw with success there in general? I typically go all artificial for trout but have read some things about using 'bugs' there. What do people mean by that?

Last edited by a moderator:
P
playhooky
Baits for crane prairie?

Hellgrammites......the natural bait that Cranebows love to chomp on! That's the "bug" they're talking about. If you can find bugs you'll find big trout.

portlandrain
portlandrain
playhooky;n597761 said:
Hellgrammites......the natural bait that Cranebows love to chomp on! That's the "bug" they're talking about. If you can find bugs you'll find big trout.

Those are some gnarly looking critters! Do you catch them to use as bait, or buy them? How do you rig it, under a bobber?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Quarter ounce egg sinker with a crawler slowly drifting the channel from the ramp at the dam down in the middle!

C
cgsprinter45
I was at Crane Prairie for four days last weekend. We caught the trout on a worm below a bobber tipped with a red salmon egg. We searched for bugs but could not find any so we went to the lodge and they said there were no bugs this year. The bass bite was very slow we caught a couple plastic worms.

portlandrain
portlandrain
GaryP1958;n597763 said:
Quarter ounce egg sinker with a crawler slowly drifting the channel from the ramp at the dam down in the middle!

Thanks, good tip. I'll bring some night crawlers.

portlandrain
portlandrain
cgsprinter45;n597764 said:
I was at Crane Prairie for four days last weekend. We caught the trout on a worm below a bobber tipped with a red salmon egg. We searched for bugs but could not find any so we went to the lodge and they said there were no bugs this year. The bass bite was very slow we caught a couple plastic worms.

That's too bad about the bass. Do you have any idea what the water temp was? They're probably in thick cover with the weather we've been having...

C
cgsprinter45
The surface temp was 72 degrees.

troutdude
troutdude
Dragon fly's--and their lavae--are also da bomb at CP. Try these Power Wigglers, in White, too:

portlandrain
portlandrain
troutdude;n597771 said:
Dragon fly's--and their lavae--are also da bomb at CP. Try these Power Wigglers, in White, too:

How do you rig those wigglers? They look just like little grubbs. I would think under a bobber, unless they float? Or on a little weight drug on the bottom?

troutdude
troutdude
Last June, I fished Lava Lake (which has Cranebows). On single hook, I slid 2 Lemon/Lime Berkley power eggs onto the hookshank. Then I dangled a wiggler, OFF of the bend in the hook. Tossed it out--with a sliding egg shaped sinker--OFf of, the bottom (with about 3' of leader).

For such fish: use at least an 8 lb. main line, and at least 6 lb. leader. Otherwise, you will lose fish. They are feisty!