Your thoughts on baitcasting reels

B
BlueWater
I had an Ambassadeur Record reel until last week when it was run over and crushed pancake flat. I liked that reel a lot and thought I'd just replace it until I saw the current price was around $180, depending upon where I looked. The reel wasn't all that old and I paid around $100 for it. I don't remember if I paid $99 or $109, but it was in that neighborhood.

At $100 it was a great reel, but I'm not at all sure I liked it at close t twice the price I paid.

I'm looking for a round baitcaster, similar to the Record 6600. Wanted to know your thoughts: what do you like? What don't you like?

1 nut in the water
Recently purchased a Shimano Cardiff that seems to be pretty sweet- Only have a few fish on it but I am a Shimano guy and it seems solid and is nice and smooth.
You can save about 25% on just about all reels purchasing from one of the big guys on the fee bay.....

J
jesse202505
I bought a Abu Garcia bait caster for 80$ on sale and its worked great. I actually have two of them. I've caught 6 steelhead and 1 nook on the one I use. I even used it in salt water a few times.( make sure to rinse with fresh water after using it in saltwater) I've never had any problems with them and they still cast really smooth. I've noticed that the more ball bearings the reel has the smoother it casts and retrieves.

D
DirectDrive
Get another Made in Sweden Ambassadeur.
Record has more bearings...you can add more bearings to a basic Ambassadeur.

Stay away from the Made in China Ambassadeurs.
The lower price will lure you in, but coming from a Record you will not be happy.
And of course there's the parts availability issue.

Reactions: FishFinger
troutdude
troutdude
directdrive said:
get another made in sweden ambassadeur.
Record has more bearings...you can add more bearings to a basic ambassadeur.

Stay away from the made in china ambassadeurs.
The lower price will lure you in, but coming from a record you will not be happy.
And of course there's the parts availability issue.

x 2.

J
joem
you guys know the number of a fish a reel has caught? geez haha

B
BlueWater
I know hwo many the flattened reel caught...