Yikes...ugly fly!

C
ChezJfrey
Since the nearby rivers have appeared to blow out, I picked up some tying tools/materials this afternoon and just completed my first fly.

I'm a meticulous and careful guy, but man, that first fly I tied is one ugly looking thing! LOL

Let's see how the second one goes...

W
waco
No pic?

C
ChezJfrey
waco said:

LOL...um, no. It's pathetic and embarrassing :) Number two looks much better...

2012-03-30_17-07-58_998.jpg

O
OnTheFly
You'll get used to it. Your instructions will tell you what to tie on first and continue on through the sequence; tail, body rib,thorax, etc. But learning to measure,manipulate and place material on the hook shank is something that takes a little more time. Maybe you do this already and that is find a YouTube video of the fly you're tying. Most of those guys will show you some tricks and explain a few things in more detail than a book will. Remember, fly tying is not like riding a bike where once you learn you'll always be good at it it's more like exercising when the more you do the more you become conditioned to do it. Leave the table for a month or two and you'll come back and suck at it.

T
tomriker
make me some on 4/0 hooks for bass :)
looks good though!

W
waco
tomriker said:
make me some on 4/0 hooks for bass :)
looks good though!

Hey if a bass guy tells you it looks good well it does!! ;) and he doesn't like fly fishing!!

W
waco
OnTheFly said:
Yeah Chez....that's one ugly fly. Looks like a porcupine with a pink skirt.

Lol :lol: :lol:

M
Modest_Man
That's funny man, UPS dropped off a bunch of fly tying gear today for me, I just tied up my first fly about an hour ago.

W
waco
Let us see a pic modest man!! :pray:

M
Modest_Man
I'll start a new thread.

C
ChezJfrey
Modest_Man said:
That's funny man, UPS dropped off a bunch of fly tying gear today for me, I just tied up my first fly about an hour ago.

Hey, I'm glad you're back too...noticed you dropped off for awhile. Also see you hooked up 3 steelhead the other day. Nice going!

I've picked up a few this year myself...already way ahead of my first year of skunking :)

Maybe one of these days I'll try picking up the steelhead on a fly, but don't yet have the guts to angle that way solely since I'm finally starting to get some success and don't yet relish going back to the whole days of no action whatsoever ;)

M
Modest_Man
Yeah, I'm back in school and didn't get out all quarter pretty much. On spring break now so I finally got out. Felt good to catch a fish. So good I also picked up a Lamiglas XMG50 today (used) to celebrate, but don't tell my fiance as she's out of town.

I'm still game to meet up and fish if the rivers drop into shape while there are winters still around. I saw your post about the Devil's fork...I was up the South Fork Monday, spotted a couple fish but they were well tucked in under some logs I had no chance at. Too bad it closes after tomorrow!

W
waco
Modest_Man said:
I'll start a new thread.

you don't have to start a new thread! Everybody can hijack threads!! We don't mind! ;)

T
tomriker
waco said:
Hey if a bass guy tells you it looks good well it does!! ;) and he doesn't like fly fishing!!

bass will eat anything! :)

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
jimmy
ChezJfrey said:
LOL...um, no. It's pathetic and embarrassing :)

um ........no, throw it, float it, sink it, whatever....... save a picture of it for sure, you'll be glad you did..... new flies have a habit of disappearing at the end of a snapped line... nice tie.

W
waco
I have saved my first fly and everytime I look at it, makes me laugh!!

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
waco said:
I have saved my first fly and everytime I look at it, makes me lough!!
your first fly makes me laugh too waco! lol got the package, flies alll look sweet-

C
ChezJfrey
Gettin' a little better...last two caddis attempts:

2012-04-02_12-39-50_59.jpg

Just realized today I shoulda picked up some other color thread...LOL

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice ehc those will catch some trout!!!