Worried about the Santiam next year

L
LuckyFisher
They have recycled all but just a few steelhead so far this year and they have raised the catch limits. Don't they need to collect some for the broodstock? I'm worried they are trying to get all the fish out of the river and are going to do something drastic. Are my fears unwarranted?

O
OnTheDrop
It only takes a handful of fish to make the runs on the river... They usually take those first and then start recycling if I remember correct. You'll be alright..

S
stinger believer
There's something weird about the whole thing. They raised the limits, and the numbers are supposedly good. But it's been the worst year of fishing for myself and everyone that I have talked to so far out there. I've always been able to catch at least one steelhead on the north, this year it's just been dead.

J
JeannaJigs
It's the same across the board for the Mckenzie and willamette, very poor returns. They're trying to reduce steelhead numbers, retention has been 3 for quite a few years on the Mckenzie. Of course they don't want anything hatchery in the Mckenzie, so that's the motivation behind that. Historically the south santiam has the largest hatchery runs of the willamette tribs though

M
Modest_Man
JeannaJigs said:
It's the same across the board for the Mckenzie and willamette, very poor returns. They're trying to reduce steelhead numbers, retention has been 3 for quite a few years on the Mckenzie. Of course they don't want anything hatchery in the Mckenzie, so that's the motivation behind that. Historically the south santiam has the largest hatchery runs of the willamette tribs though

Poor returns? Looking at the numbers over the falls the last 10 years 2014 is shaping up to be in the top 3-4 years of the past decade. 2004 had the most by the end of July, then there are two other years with about the same as this year, and then there are 6 years where the returns were between 14-18k (there are just over 21,000 so far this year over the falls.)

With a hot, dry summer rivers are lower and warmer than usual. Change up your presentations. Go early or late, and go small.

S
stinger believer
This is what we're talking about. "Supposedly" one of the best returns in years, but nobody is catching anything... I know how to catch steelhead, and I know other guys who usually do pretty well on the river. I always fish first light, and I know the importance of smaller gear for summers. I just think there's something ODF'ingW isn't telling us.

M
Modest_Man
stinger believer said:
This is what we're talking about. "Supposedly" one of the best returns in years, but nobody is catching anything... I know how to catch steelhead, and I know other guys who usually do pretty well on the river. I always fish first light, and I know the importance of smaller gear for summers. I just think there's something ODF'ingW isn't telling us.

Okay, so what aren't they telling us? Are you saying you think they're lying about how many are crossing the falls? I guess I just don't see what benefit ODFW would get from "not telling" something.

S
stinger believer
They could benefit from lying about the numbers because they are continuing to increase our license fees, and if the numbers were really bad, people would stop buying them. They are government after all. I'm not saying they are doing this to us, and I hope they're not, but things are harder this year when they should be easier. Or it could just be me reaching for something to validate my big fat "0" on my tag.

brandon4455
brandon4455
stinger believer said:
because they are continuing to increase our license fees, and if the numbers were really bad, people would stop buying them..

if you want a struggling government agency to plant a whole ton of fish like they do in this crap economy you are gonna have to pay for them, fish and money don't grow on trees.

thats why habitat restoration & hatchery reform are a better idea..make the rivers pump out good fish not the hatcheries.

E
eugene1
"Worried about the Santiam next year"

Don't worry at all! Next year's fish are out in the ocean now.

I also wouldn't worry about ODFW lying about numbers. To many people involved to cover up the truth.

Does ODFW want to discontinue Willy summer runs? I don't know, but I know the Army Corps does not.

Best,

LuckyFisher said:
They have recycled all but just a few steelhead so far this year and they have raised the catch limits. Don't they need to collect some for the broodstock? I'm worried they are trying to get all the fish out of the river and are going to do something drastic. Are my fears unwarranted?

D
dozer365
Size 4 spinners mid day in 24-18" fast or riffel water. Or u can go with 6 1/2 foot leader and a corky. I prefer to get mine to bite. And it has been a tough yeah. But give it a week an smack it. I bet u get some fish with a spinne size go if u hit and cover water.
Everyone lies. Odfw shouldn't be any different. And it don't matter if there are a million or a hundred fish around. I only can keep two. Besides I like catch and release on my summers anyway.
The clack has been hit an miss. Even though there are fish around.

D
DrTheopolis
dozer365 said:
I only can keep two.

Unless you're fishing on the Santiam.

While they're nice to have around, I have a hard time lamenting declines in runs that weren't native to start with.