Winter steelhead tips

T
tater19
i would love to start fishing for winter steelies but I dont know where the best place to go is. i have a drift boat and can go fish from shore if need be. i have a family member coming from out of state around Thanksgiving and another in January. where would you go? i would like to start maybe fishing over there a little early to learn the water.

C
ChezJfrey
Where are you located in Oregon?

D
DrTheopolis
I'd recommend a river with a decent winter run.

If you share more info, so can I.

T
tater19
i am in Eugene, but i am willing to drive for fish. :) i would be willing to drive at least 2 hours one way if not more for a good day of fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
You'll have to hit coastal streams; as there is no winter run on the Mac (or any other remotely close river). Siuslaw, Umpqua, and Alsea are all within range. The winters are trickling in now. So give it a try; and go lower rather than higher up.

T
tater19
troutdude said:
You'll have to hit coastal streams; as there is no winter run on the Mac (or any other remotely close river). Siuslaw, Umpqua, and Alsea are all within range. The winters are trickling in now. So give it a try; and go lower rather than higher up.

Thank you. Any tips or suggestions for fishing lower on those rivers? I'm more used to fishing higher up at places like the mckenzie river etc.

T
the rookie
sandy river winter steelhead

sandy river winter steelhead

3 hr drive sandy river has a good winter run thanksgiving up till april I do beleave

F
fishinshawn
Come to the coast, there are a bunch of good guys on this forum from eugene. Maybe one of them can show you around the sewerslaw. If not just drive down it and start watching where people fish and do what they do.

S
steelhead_stalkers
fishinshawn said:
If not just drive down it and start watching where people fish and do what they do.

Not the best advise! :lol: People do crazy things on the slaw and most of them do not end up with a steelhead on the bank.

T
tater19
looking at a map I am thinking of taking my drift boay to the Alsea on the lower part. I am thinking of putting in just about where the tidewater stops and maybe fishing around there or a little higher. thoughts? it seems like a fairly calm water area there. i have a small trolling motor to run up river just a bit to fish as well. i am not that experienced yet with rowing the drift boat so I dont want to go down anything too tricky with it yet.