Winter steelhead run over?

W
whammond
So I am fairly new to winter steelhead fishing, and I have been out a few times and I have managed to hook up a couple times and I'm hooked! But everyone I hear talking about the winter steelhead run is say that the season is about over. Is this true? I'm really enjoying the winter fishing and all I want to do is be out on the river every day! Can you experienced anglers lay some knowledge on me about how this pans out?

S
Steelheader4Life
I catch winters all the way into mid April...and in my opinion it's just starting to heat up!

J
juggernaut506
Depends on what river you're fishing.

W
whammond
I like to fish the Siuslaw at Whitaker Crk the most. Its only about 20 minutes from my house and I have come pretty familiar with it. I kinda think too that its starting to heat up now. I'm really hoping to get out this weekend and hopefully get into some fish.

troutdude
troutdude
ODFW acclimates the steelhead smolts in the Whitaker Creek Recreation area. And the hatchery run begins in December, and continues into March. So, it should really be heating up in that stretch now; with those fish returning to that area. It'll get crowded, so go during the week if you can. I believe that it is also catch n' release only, for any nates that you might coax to shore.

Good luck.

C
cobias
I find that the bulk of the hatchery run peaks at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.The hatch fish are winding down but the natives should be peaking soon. Its best to use bigger gear and bend down your barbs at this time of year. You may get lucky and get a fresh keeper, but most of the hatch fish are coloring up or are kelts going back to the ocean. Just be careful with those natives and get em back in the water quick !

D
DYJ
The Siuslaw run isn't over.... though you wouldn't of guessed that by how slow it was Sunday. The water was dirty and a lot higher than we expected. We will fish it through March then move on to closer waters

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
cobias said:
I find that the bulk of the hatchery run peaks at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.The hatch fish are winding down but the natives should be peaking soon. Its best to use bigger gear and bend down your barbs at this time of year. You may get lucky and get a fresh keeper, but most of the hatch fish are coloring up or are kelts going back to the ocean. Just be careful with those natives and get em back in the water quick !

I forgot about the hatch run, being pretty much over. Thanks for jumpin' in Cobias. Your suggestions on fishing for the nates is right on the money.

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
It'll get crowded, so go during the week if you can. I believe that it is also catch n' release only, for any nates that you might coax to shore.

Good luck.

YESS! go during the week!! Even tho.... this system got super crowded this year... I found that you will see an average of 5-10 drift boats and 10-20 bankies even on the weekdays!!!! Now... do the math and just double those numbers for the weekends!! People have been pulling fresh hatch steelies out of there all last month and this month!! The majority of the hatch fish will be colored up, but most of the hatch ones i have seen caught are all DIME bright still!! watch out for the nates, as they will trick you into thinkin you have hooked a rock!!! Yeah... i learned that lesson this year.

It's been high and murkey the last 3 weeks. BIG bright PRESONTATIONS are your best bet.

H
halibuthitman
the best way to determine if any river has truely turned off for the run, and is just stragglers is to call the best guide for that river and try to book a float and mention how important it is for you to get a fish.. if he tries to lead you in a different direction or seems hesitant, the rivers done for the most part-

F
fishinshawn
While there is always a few stranglers, the bulk of the run from the slaw south is done. There will still be the stranglers and down runners(kelts) and probably a few natives as well. Many of the rivers to the north of the slaw will have fresh fish until april, when the summer steelhead start showing up.

B
bran_man
cobias said:

Yup! Exactly what he said! :) but to add, yes, some rivers are getting to the ends of their runs, but some are peaking about now as well....

K
Kevinb5688
Dont forget about the dry month we had earlier in the year. The alsea (for example) has only had an average of a couple hundred of fish in the month of march. They have already beat the 300 fish mark in 6 days. Not only that but febuary set an all time record number of fish.
All costal rivers this year are running about a month late on the runs. Which should mean you can fish 3-4 weeks later than you normally would and still catch fish.
What blows my mind is they are predicting earlier springer runs in most rivers. I figured with later than normal winter runs the summer run fish would be a little behind scheadule too.
That just means more fish and more hatchery cards i have to buy :). Good luck guys

M
Mad dog
The best fishing for hatchery steelhead last season on the South Umpqua happened the last 2 weeks of april! March is the peak month for steelhead in the Umpqua and the Upper Rogue is just getting started! Lot's of good steelheading left....of course....the springers are coming!!! ;)

Last edited: