Winter steelhead newbie

C
CoeRoe
I've been trying LC as a bank fisher with #4 gen. silver spinners and red tape, but nothin' doin'. Is there a better way? Do I just need to be patient?:think:

T
Throbbit _Shane
It's tough just throwing hardware. Look into drift fishing and bobber fishing.

S
Scott M
Never have been much of a spinner guy for steelhead. I always preferred a 1/2 oz red and white spoon bounced off the bottom. But, I was fishing a river that was made up of round river rock and wash without many snags to get hung up on. I've also had success with a 2 1/2" weighted Rapala Original in silver. Cast upstream into the current and allow the minnow to sink as it drifts downstream keeping the slack out of the line. I usually got a strike as the minnow turned and began to wobble in the current toward the end of the drift.

Good Luck!!

Y
Yogidabear
Nightmare jigs and bobbers don't work so I would stay away from that set up. ;)

T
Tacomasteelheader
that's a collection, bet the debt is a lot with those, i just recently discovered that jigs work for steelhead !!!!

H
halibuthitman
Just keep at it... winners never quit, and quiters never win.. wait for it-

J
JeannaJigs
Lake creek can be a tough cookie sometimes, it's almost always clear. I've done well with silver blade and dark green bodies, as well as silver and purple, but also all black. definitely get a jig set up and think small. I also had one on earlier this year with an 8mm trout bead under a float. It's tough when there's not much bank that isn't private property.

P
plumb2fish
Only about 15% of the hatchery steel in the siuslaw system are bound for lake creek. Your best bet on lake creek is probably going to be at green creek or within a mile of where it come into the river as that's where the smolts are released. If you aren't a meat hunter, you should be able to find some aggressive nates on Indian creek. I would be drift fishing 4 1/2" pink paddle tail worms on Indian creek if I was looking to get a rod bent and not trying to feed the family.....

C
CoeRoe
hmmm...

hmmm...

halibuthitman said:
Just keep at it... winners never quit, and quiters never win.. wait for it-

I'm gonna head out there tomorrow under warmer conditions and higher flows while more steelies are movin' and see what's shakin'. I was born and raised on spinners so it's a hard habit to break. At least I know that they work. Caught a silver and a steelie on the Yachats back in November with #3 brass.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! See you at Green Creek!

R
rippin fish lips
CoeRoe said:
At least I know that they work. Caught a silver and a steelie on the Yachats back in November with #3 brass.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! See you at Green Creek!

Number 3s would work in LC in low clear conditions, u just gotta bounce it off there nose most likely. You could probabaly due decent with an all black spinner there too (if your around fish).