Winter chrome novice, not ashamed to admit it

G
Grifter
caveat lector: long post ahead. apologies.

If you read my recent carp post, you know a bit about my biography. My home waters have been the Teton and the South / Henry's Forks of the Snake in SE Idaho, as well as the Madison and Gallatin in SW Montana. Moving here (Eugene) last year has been a very drastic change in approach from what I am used to (both in water and presentation), and I am somewhat dazed by the options for fishing, and excited to diversify, in a sense. That said, my experience fishing for steelhead has been extremely limited--basically just B runs on the Salmon and Clearwater rivers and an occasional trip to the Grande Ronde. I have never tied into a winter steelhead, fresh from the salt, and I am dying for the chance. To that end, I have been researching (read Larison's The Complete Steelheader, watched videos a plenty), checking maps and Fish and Game numbers, preparing gear, and scouting access on some small coastal creeks near Yachats (even subjected my wife and kids to a long ride up a logging road to find some nice holding water). I would like to try to learn where there is a little less pressure on the water. I am not above going it alone to cut my teeth on winter steelhead, but I also know that there is virtue in being able to observe someone who has genuine practice in the art, and for that I thought I'd kick out a proposition: If anyone is willing to head out to the coast in a couple weeks and allow me to tag along (or drive), I would be in your deepest debt. Gas and food (home prepared) will be on me, and I also offer to listen patiently to your stories, b.s. or otherwise. But seriously, I just thought I'd throw that out there and see if there was even a remote chance of any takers. The worst is could do is generate scoffs and dismissal, which I'm comfortable with.

Thanks for reading. Please PM if you're down, potentially, and we'll talk.

Joe

jamisonace
jamisonace
Welcome. I moved here from Wyoming and Utah where all I did was fly fish. Still make the annual pilgrimage back to get my fly fix. When I moved out here I knew no one and headed up the mckenzie for summer steelhead on my 5 wt. I was was rewarded with 5 steelhead and 5 broken leaders.

Anyway, I'd say the alsea will be your best bet from Eugene but the siletz isn't too far either. They both offer bank opportunities. I don't do much winter steelhead fishing given my schedule but if I ever head out I'll drop you a pm.

Reactions: Grifter
H
halibuthitman
its a shame you don't live up here by stump town.. I could drive you around all day and fill you full of B.s and really bore the **** out of you... after all its actually what I do most of the time- get a guided trip on the siletz, you will be a pro by the end of the day.. stay away from the hatchery deadline holes on any river, there is nothing propper or good to learn there- good luck

T
troutmasta
Both of them know what they're talking about. Ive got some good rivers up here near Portland. Head north and hit me up. Nice intro by the way.

P
plumb2fish
Joe,
Though not a fly angler myself, I have chased winters. I live in the Eugene area and am stacked full of B.S. fishing stories. I have spent time and caught fish on most of the coastal systems from Tillamook to the Chetco. I don't consider myself a 10%er, but I do catch my fair share of fish. I really enjoy beating the brush and fishing water that doesn't get much pressure. These streams may not have the same number of fish that the hatchery streams do, but it is more fun to catch large, wild fish from small water.If you aren't above fishing with a gear chucker, I am ok hanging with a feather flicker.

Last edited:
G
Grifter
halibuthitman said:
...get a guided trip on the siletz, you will be a pro by the end of the day..

I would do just that if I weren't a poor grad student. As it is, about the most I can spring for is a tank of gas and some vittles. A guided day trip is so far out of my sight it's absurd. Regardless, thanks for the reply.

G
Grifter
jamisonace said:
Welcome. I moved here from Wyoming and Utah where all I did was fly fish. Still make the annual pilgrimage back to get my fly fix. When I moved out here I knew no one and headed up the mckenzie for summer steelhead on my 5 wt. I was was rewarded with 5 steelhead and 5 broken leaders.

Anyway, I'd say the alsea will be your best bet from Eugene but the siletz isn't too far either. They both offer bank opportunities. I don't do much winter steelhead fishing given my schedule but if I ever head out I'll drop you a pm.

This is what I've heard--the South Fork of the Alsea has some good opportunities for a drift boatless newby (better, it seems, than trying to stumble around on the Slaw or Lake Creek). If you're ever inclined to get out there, drop me a line. Thanks for the feedback.

G
Grifter
troutmasta said:
Both of them know what they're talking about. Ive got some good rivers up here near Portland. Head north and hit me up. Nice intro by the way.

Thanks, Masta. I really want to hit some Chinook in the Wilson (or other river) while I'm here. That's another goal. Adios.