Wilson river winter steelies

P
pro6cess
Heading out to the Wilson River for steelhead and possibly a Nook on Saturday 12/01. Originally planned for S.Frk at Elk crk as its my winter haven but feeling may be a bit early in the season for there. I havn't been in the lower river for 15 years when I was 16yrs old down towards Mills Bridge which I used to catch fish religously thought I'd try the bank on the gravel beds there with bobber and if water is high maybe plunking pink spin-n-glo and roe. I usually fish between Kansas Crk and S.frk. all year a large nest of holes in that spread. I was wondering if anyone knew if Mills bridge parking area fishing is still any good from the bank or is it a past time? Water levels are not superb going into Friday but thought I'd give it a try and if no luck there is plenty of river! Let me know what I don't know. Any other areas please feel free to let me know maybe I can bring home dinner!

Thanks,

Rick

T
troutmasta
Mills bridge is great. However, on Sat. I imagine it would be packed. With the water height I would use a bobber on the edges. Ive had luck above the gravel this year. A sand shrimp cocktail has been productive for me more recently. Good Luck- Stay Dry-

(The street sign in my avatar pic is Mills Rd, Its from this month;)) Go get one!

T
troutmasta
Looks like the water is gonna be gross, Id head up high.

P
pro6cess
Thank you Troutmasta! Probably best sticking to my original plan at South Fork!

O
orkfest
Friday afternoon at the bridge was torrental rains, but the river was fairly clear and back to a good level. Saw one 29" steelie caught, very chrome and pretty.

C
ChezJfrey
orkfest said:
Friday afternoon at the bridge was torrental rains, but the river was fairly clear and back to a good level. Saw one 29" steelie caught, very chrome and pretty.

Ha, that was me! :) I recognize your photo as one of the guys I saw when I was packing it in.

Got it shortly after the rain was hitting pretty hard...the wind was making it difficult to get a good presentation with the spinner, but still managed to put it where I wanted.

P
pro6cess
So conclusion to Saturday below S.Frk the water was brown and full of debris but there were plenty of die hard fisherman still fishing the muddy waters! We fished the south fork in the morning 7am until 11am and then down the wilson below the forestry center until 2pm then back to S.Frk until 4pm. S.Frk we saw 2 beat up dying natives in the morning washed up about .5 mile on the S.frk but no catches saw a couple strugglers jumping up the river above the bridge in the later afternoon before ending the trip. Early steelies were in the stream but of no abundance and they looked beat by rocks and rough not our silver beauties in the lower river these were desperate work horse natives fins were bones!