Wilson River report - 11/04/12

L
LawyerBob
Tried my luck drifting the lower Wilson Sunday, putting in at Mills Bridge and taking out at Sollie Smith. Water was green with right around 3' of visibility. Putting in at sunrise, Mills Bridge was packed with bankers and boaters. Heard a few say fishing had been pretty decent Saturday. Most people were tossing huge drift bobbers, lead and bait.

Much of the drift was spent trying to get away from the parade of boats. We probably saw almost two dozen. The water was moving much faster than anticipated, having previously only fished it in summer. My two buddies and I were simply ill-equipped to get our offerings down deep enough for any period of time.

We got skunked on our first chinook attempt, but other boaters did fairly well. I watched a few fish get brought in and took inventory of what the more successful anglers were using. The key, it seemed, was being able to keep your bait about 2-4’ above the bottom by using divers or 1-4oz of lead. Not a huge surprise there, in hindsight. Gauge near Tillamook was at or about 5.7", discharge around 2500 cfs; 50 degree water.

T
troutmasta
Fished the lower river today from the bank went two for two with a nook and big chum salmon (quite the fight). I was bottom drifting with a ton of lead(maybe 1-2oz) 20pnd leader w chartruese corkie and eggs

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Good report Lawyer, you got to do how the locals do to get them! Probably good to scope it out for your next outing.

and troutmasta, nice work!

L
LawyerBob
Nice going! That sounds like a rig I used over a decade ago in Idaho. Worked then, so no clue why I didn't bother with one. Thanks for the reminder.

Seems my pals want to get us back on the river this weekend to try again. Not sure if I want to bank or boat it. Played tag with the bridge last weekend and am still a little rattled. Losing the anchor makes Sollie a really interesting pullout when its crowded. 10 minutes of :shock: while trying to buy time followed by :wall: and :doh:. Haha.

T
troutmasta
Scary! I'll take my chances on the bank with the cougars.
What part of Idaho? I'm from Boise.

O
OnTheDrop
troutmasta said:
Fished the lower river today from the bank went two for two with a nook and big chum salmon (quite the fight). I was bottom drifting with a ton of lead(maybe 1-2oz) 20pnd leader w chartruese corkie and eggs

Chum are one of my favorite fish to fight! Had a day last year on the Wilson where I watched chum after chum charge my jigs ( as i was fishing from above on a boulder) such a savage/vicious fish.

C
CurtisP87
I hit a few different spots on the wilson Monday morning, didn't even see a single fish. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, it sounds like the tillamook tribs have been hot all weekend...

Started the day swinging spinners, tried a slip bobber and jigs/eggs after that, but like I said, I didn't even see anything moving around.

The hunt continues.....

T
troutmasta
I'm going to hit the Wilson tomorrow if anybody wants to meet up? I'm going to roll with college kid USA send me a message or something I'll check them in the morning before I leave

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Chum are one of my favorite fish to fight! Had a day last year on the Wilson where I watched chum after chum charge my jigs ( as i was fishing from above on a boulder) such a savage/vicious fish.

It was my first 1 it was probably about a 15 20 pound buck and took me about 20 minutes to reel in it was insane!

Last edited:
E
eugene1
troutmasta said:
I'm going to hit the Wilson tomorrow if anybody wants to meet up? I'm going to roll with college kid USA send me a message or something I'll check them in the morning before I leave

Good luck out there!

T
troutmasta
eugene1 said:
Good luck out there!

I've got a fresh quart of the same eggs that were hot the other day and a tuna belly! Should be good.

E
eugene1
right on dude, when I was up there a week ago I had a nice take down with a tuna belly-tipped red jig, it didn't stick though. This was bobber fishing the tidewater. I threw away so many tuna bellies this summer from our tuna trip that I'm bummed I didn't save them. Super greasy and tough bait... cheap and easy too.

Best,

L
LawyerBob
troutmasta said:
Scary! I'll take my chances on the bank with the cougars.
What part of Idaho? I'm from Boise.

I lived up in northern Idaho for a time. It's been so long I've since forgotten the river, but it was a good 6 to 7 hours away, down near Boise. Combat fishing was the name of the game. 40 or so guys crammed on a small bank swinging drift rigs. Yuck. But it worked.

Have any luck out there today?

O
OnTheDrop
Should be killer out there today. Ill be there this Sunday/Monday for a lil birthday fishing.