Willamette River sturgeon retention

J
John B
Willamette River sturgeon retention will open for two weekends in February

January 17, 2012

CLACKAMAS, Ore. – ODFW fishery managers announced today the white sturgeon retention season on the Lower Willamette River (including Multnomah Channel and the Gilbert River) will be open Feb. 17-18 and Feb. 24-25.

The shortened harvest season is in response to a continued decline in the abundance of legal-sized fish in both the Willamette and Columbia rivers. Last week, the directors of Oregon and Washington departments of fish and wildlife agreed on a reduction in the harvest rate for both rivers from 22.5 percent to 16 percent for 2012. That’s a 38 percent reduction in the number of fish that can be harvested from the Willamette, and a 2012 harvest guideline between 1,768 and 2,022 fish.

“Our goal is to open a four-day fishery,” said Steve Williams, ODFW deputy administrator for marine and Columbia River fisheries. “However, we’ll be monitoring the fishery closely to make sure we stay within the harvest guideline.”

“With the high angling effort and high catch rates we’ve seen the past few years, we are expecting a very short season,” he said.

The season just announced applies to the Willamette River below the Falls in Oregon City. Anglers are reminded that the daily bag limit is one fish with a fork length between 38 and 54 inches.

###

K
Kevinb5688
Funny how i went on the willamette in september with 4 guys and we caught 16 fish that were keeper size. It wasn't a retention period so they are still in there.
Not a good year to be a sturgeon guide. Lol

H
hunt-fish-trap
yeh but above the falls is open for retention. you just have to know the secret spots

bass
bass
hunt-fish-trap said:
yeh but above the falls is open for retention. you just have to know the secret spots

I had not realized that. I thought that retention was only allowed above highway 20. Thanks for opening my eyes hunt-fish-trap!

H
hunt-fish-trap
yeh I poured over the regs over and over,time and time again. I even went to the f&g office in Clackamas and they gave me the green light and chuckled a little telling me that there is only greens up there. then I showed her my phone and she stopped laughin. here is a hint for everybody. WEST LINN BOAT RAMP UP RIVER A BIT WHERE THE TUALATIN DUMPS IN. and around rock island

H
hunt-fish-trap
I also would like to add that in no way am I a sturgeon catcher in any way. Im good at getting undersized by mere chance. so here is my offer, I have a drift boat with a kicker, so anyone want to go catch some keepers?

bass
bass
I had been looking at the navigation charts and saw that there looked to be a nice hole straight out from the ramp in West Linn and also a bit upriver from where the Tualatin dumps in. I have been thinking about fishing those spots for a while. I love sturgeon fishing from my kayak. When the rivers come down I will gladly meet up with you in that area to check out the fishing.

T
the_intimidator03
Specific rules regarding sturgeon retention above the falls is that it is open 7 days a week, from Willy falls to Highway 20 bridge at Albany and from highway 20 bridge at albany upstream to highway 99 bridge. at Harrisburg including the tributaries except the calapooia system.
These are on page 56. Also another remark since i saw green sturgeon mention... the retention is for WHITE sturgeon only.

K
Kevinb5688
I heard of a guy catching a keeper size sturgeon out of the long tom river in monroe by the fish ladder. I have caught smallmouth bass in there but didn't think sturgeon would go up it. I guess there is a good hole by harrisburg where the long tom flows into the willamette river.

B
Big3d
How did you possibly bring in a white at willamette park??? Are you sure you weren't drinking windex? I've seen people bait up for sturgeon up there but the only thing that brought them were channel cats... Strange stuff. congrats on the amazing catch if you did though.

J
juggernaut506
There's a couple nice holes upstream from Peoria but the holes aren't very large and typically don't hold a lot of fish. Also downstream from Albany has a few bigger spots but more people fish those. I only ever caught one keeper sized fish but quite a few 34" to 37" shakers and every once in a while oversized fish. I still have yet to hook up with the 10' that frequents the spot I fish most though.

F
fitzi6_7
Man I have a lot to learn. Is there a glossary? I keep reading about bucks and hens, shakers, parr, springer,,,, what about the fish??? :-(