Where can I fish on 4/28? Where should I fish on 4/28?

C
Caddis
Hi all,

Just getting into fly fishing and I've been looking at the regs book trying to figure out what my options will be come 4/28, especially close to Portland. The closest open rivers I see are Abiqua, Butte and Silver Creeks. Are there good areas to fly fish in the open rivers starting next weekend, especially any smaller tributaries?

After reading the regs, I think I have no idea what I'm doing. :roll eyes:

Thanks!

Last edited:
T
trouthunter92
Those three creeks are fishable above there falls (the reservoir for silver creek) on the 28th. I plan to hit up abiqua since I live ten minutes from it and buute isn't much farther. I've heard its good fishing but I myself have never fished the falls.

Reactions: OnTheFly
M
Modest_Man
The water is usually high, fast, and very cold with spring snow melt right when it opens. I fish the area a lot later on and do well, but have not done well right around opening day. And you have to fish them above the falls, which can be very hard to find on Butte and Abiqua unless you know where they are ahead of time.

brandon4455
brandon4455
you can use nymphs and a strike indicator and catch fish when its cold or high, the fish will be stuck to the bottom. try fishing the inside turn of a run and riffles/pools

C
Caddis
That's great, thanks.

What about Mill Creek or Luckiamute? Those are fed from the coast range, so less cold snow melt and lower flow levels.

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
try fishing the inside turn of a run and riffles/pools

Perfecr perfect perfect!! Most of your trout will be holding on the inside corners this time of year. (slower water that creates pools on the side of fast moving water. Some will be right in the seam, but most will be in the slack just next to the seam!

brandon4455
brandon4455
i have found pools& riffles to be effective in smaller streams using nymphs earlier in the year, there are a lot of nypmhs floating down river because hatches are coming up soon and the bugs are moving around.

S
SmallStreams
Caddis said:
That's great, thanks.

What about Mill Creek or Luckiamute? Those are fed from the coast range, so less cold snow melt and lower flow levels.

Mill Creek that flows into the South Yamhill was a bust for me last year. I explored 2-3 miles above the falls... either the fish are really high up or they ain't there. Beautiful stream with lots of fish food in the stream, though.

Little Luckiamute was not exciting last year. Hooked a couple trout, but it took all day to find them. Nothing was large enough for me to want to keep. Big Luckiamute doesn't open until Memorial Day and there's limited access.

Edit: should add that I mainly use spinners and other lures. As Brandon noted, riffles and heads of pools are best on the Coast Range streams. If the pool isn't deep, it typically needs overhead cover before the trout will hold there.

Last edited:
T
trouthunter92
Modestman which is more prodquctive for you, butte or abiqua? What do you use if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to learn stream fishing as best I can this year.

M
Modest_Man
They're both good. I've done well with spinners and I've done well with flies.

brandon4455
brandon4455
any stream you choose you will be coping with high and cold water conditions, i would choose the one with the easiest access and use nymphs and a strike indicator,it will work if you know how to "read the water" good luck wherever you decide to go!!!