What should I buy?

K
Kevinb5688
For those of you who dont know i have been off work for 3 months and i got the call yesterday that new jobs came in and i will be going back to work :). That means i will finally have extra cash.

I needed some help finding a fly rod and reel or a combo for around 200$ or less. I plan to use the rod for mostly steelhead, but will use it for 3-6 lb bass as well.
I used my buddies 7wt one day steelhead fishing and was able to land a 6 lb hen. It was a blast. But i know nothing about flyrods, and have no clue what to get.
I am totally new with only one day and one fish under my belt so any good beginer choice rod that you would recomend i am sure i could figure it out. ( i got roll casting down ) lol.

Thanks guys, i am looking forward to hooking some steel on a flyrod and learning a new tactic to add to my fishing experience!

brandon4455
brandon4455
Last edited:
A
alm21
Having bought a fly reel from Sinkline, I know Randy keeps his gear in top shape. That St Croix looks pretty nice.

K
Kevinb5688
Both of those rods look great, my buddy wants one to so i might have to give you a call in 2 weeks on my first pay check randy. I still need some advice on a decent reel. Any suggestions for a good one for a good price?
Thanks a lot guys, i have caught a ton of fish with spinning/ baitcast rods and it frankly is getting to easy. I want the challage of a new style of fishing.

brandon4455
brandon4455
anything that is tough because its gunna probably hit rocks,large or mid arbor is a good design for gaining line on a big fish. something with a smooth drag that isn't sticky when fighting a hot fish. here is a good reel, the model to match an 8wt would be the third one down on the list. this is a good price and an awesome reel

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/echo-ion-fly-reel.html

forgot to mention, dont count out a pflueger medalist reel if you need something that cost next to nothing,they work great.

also if your in the market for a fly line you dont need anything spendy http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...793480;cat104721480;cat104338980;cat105553080

W
waco
The rod Randy is selling is very nice! But if you get it, it's gonna leave you with a very short budget for a decent reel!! IMO is more important have a good reel than rod! Just my 2 cents

brandon4455
brandon4455
waco, a reel just holds the line,..the rod is most important..it does most of the work. im gunna have to disagree with you.

K
Kevinb5688
Thanks brandon, that echo reel looks pretty sweet. Is an 8wt a decent bass rod too? Where i fish i can hook them on anything, i am thinking catching 5 lb bass on a fly might add the excitment back into it. I can't wait to get paid and get my setup together. Spring is coming and fish will be biting. I am thinking i will fish 100% fly rod for bass, carp, trout, and salmon so i will be ready for next years off civil war tourney and bring it home for the fly anglers :)

W
waco
brandon4455 said:
waco, a reel just holds the line,..the rod is most important..it does most of the work. im gunna have to disagree with you.

We are talking about steelhead not trout!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
i know. the reel isn't that important just needs a decent drag and you can find one with a good drag under 100 bucks easy. kevin, i use my 8wt for bass and a 3lber is pretty fun so im sure 5 would be even funner. an 8wt will be able to cast huge streamers and rabbit strip divers,poppers etc and would be a good overall choice,especially if your fishing in a weedy or snaggy area

K
Kevinb5688
brandon4455 said:
i know. the reel isn't that important just needs a decent drag and you can find one with a good drag under 100 bucks easy. kevin, i use my 8wt for bass and a 3lber is pretty fun so im sure 5 would be even funner. an 8wt will be able to cast huge streamers and rabbit strip divers,poppers etc and would be a good overall choice,especially if your fishing in a weedy or snaggy area

Thats what i want. I dont have the money right now to buy more than one setup.
Even if an 8wt is not perfect for bass or carp or salmon i will still try it because iam buying this setup for steelhead but need to practice before next year when its hot again on the rivers close to me. Maby i will get a couple of chances to catch some steelhead on another river that will still be producing fish in a month from now. It just sucks gas is 4.00 a gallon. Makes fishing away from home hard to afford.
I am getting a good idea of what i want. Maby randy will give me the old OFF'er discount on his rod;). That way i can get that sweet echo reel.
Then theres line, flies, strike indicators, streamers.... As long as the GF dont know how much i spend i can live with debt from fishing gear. Lol

brandon4455
brandon4455
there ya go! 8wt will work for salmon and carp too, ill send you a pm this fall about coho they are a blast

K
Kevinb5688
Thanks randy, dont post those rods on craigslist, i will buy both of them from you. My buddy wants the other one.
I get paid on the 10th and i will hit you up.

brandon4455
brandon4455
good for you randy! way to help a guy out! :cool: kevin, the cool thing about that rod is the length, since it's longer you will be able to manage your line very easily for a drag free drift while indicator fishing. and since its an 8wt it will have the backbone to really pull a fish in.

K
Kevinb5688
Sounds good, i will get both for sure when i get paid. I am thinking of getting the echo reel. Will that fit nice On that rod?

brandon4455
brandon4455
if you get the 8-9wt model it will fit.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the echo ion is decent on the wallet and is large arbor, it's a win win situation :)