What are u using for salmon?

F
fish2eat
I fish the santiam at mehama daily, and have been getting skunked on steelhead, I can catch cutbow all day but can't get into a good steely, and I k.ow they're there. They're jumping everywhere, I've tried spinners roe, floating drifting from the bottom. Nothing works and I've never had such down luck. So ill be that Guy and ask... what are u using? What's working for you? Any reply is greatly appreciated!

E
eugene1
I used lots of whole shell-on prawns for summer runs on the Willy. They seem to love them.

Keep at it,

O
OnTheDrop
Bobber and Jig, Bobber and CoonShrimp ( Or Sandshrimp ) or a Brass/Gold/Black spinner. There's nothing else a bank fisherman needs for a summer...

The big thing is presentation. Keep your jig off the bottom a little ways so they can look up and come smash it. Same gig for bobber/bait. For the spinners, keep them bouncing the bottom and at the end of the drift let it swing out. They love to hit it there, especially summers. Remember, if you're not losing spinners/spoons you aren't fishing them right...

Good luck,

T
Toyracer38
Pink Coonies or pink shrimp jigs.

S
Steeliekiller
Run plugs from the bridge on the mehama side seams to work well have caught a few from there, as well as, watch the ole boys pull them very often. If they're there, good chance there are fish to be had. Also try john Neal park lots of great water through there. Chances are we'll run into each other if you fish that area. Good luck out there.

Reactions: eugene1
F
fish2eat
Found a nice medium between all the suggestions and 15 minutes ago landed a nice (but half zombie) 28 1/4 inch steely. You guys are the absolute bomb!

M
markasd
Never had a whole lot of success up there - good on you man!!

A
autofisher
My favorite will always be the pink worm.

F
fish2eat
^ just what I was using
Anise scent, 1/8 oz chartreuse jig hook and a 4 in Berkeley worm (bubblegum pink) hung 3-3.5 ft below a bobber

M
mikeee2362
Way to go f2e!! Pink worm strikes again!!

C
Cohobolo
Squid...and leave the legs attached.