Well, well, I might be getting better at this...

C
ChezJfrey
While I've caught a few trout on the fly to this point, my casting skill is still a bit weak.

So, I stopped by the free, Orvis Casting 101 session last week. Of course it's very basic and they covered a couple knots and such that I didn't necessarily need help with. When we went out for some casting practice, my familiarity didn't go unnoticed when the guy mentioned, "You've fly fished before..." But, during this session, I was able to work out my tendency to produce tailing loops.

I've gone out twice since to practice and that bad habit is just about gone. In fact, this morning, I didn't have a single tailing loop. Yay!

Those things are annoying as I would occasionally catching the line with the fly during the loop crossover.

Oh, and our own John Montana is a bit of a celebrity there as Matt mentioned him to me specifically during a conversation we were having about fly fishing various species :)

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done there!! Glad you could get them under control. I know that if I don't watch my casting, I will sometimes get tailing loops and MAN are they annoying!! You get what you think is the perfect cast .. everything is going perfectly ... you see the spot you want ... you get the cast going .. you are are just about to place the fly on the spot .. when BAM!!! your fly flips around your line and gets all knotted up!!! DANG IT!!!! hahahahahaha I hate that!!

So good job on taking the needed steps to get some instruction and fix those tailing loops.

Now get out there and get some fish man!! :D

-Spydey

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Sinkline said:
....Moral of the story..., if ya can't cast get into stillwater flyfishing! :lol:

Randy

hahahahahaha. So are you saying something about yourself too Randy? :think: hahahahaha Just kidding with ya. :D

Glad I can squeak by on my casting cause to tell you the truth, I am a horrible still water fly fisher!! hahahaha

@ Chez - Great job again man. Glad to see that you are improving!! Take care man. :D

-Spydey

G
GDBrown
I took up still water fly fishing after it became more difficult to cast with my bad hands and I have never caught so many fish! :lol: Now I would rather go to stillwater than a stream. The real advantage for me is I don't have to continually cast in order to get the fly in front of the fish.

GD

I'm really learning a lot from the "Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing" series that I have been watching on WFN. It is almost as good as the "New Fly Fisher"

L
LuckyToBeFishing
GDBrown said:
I took up still water fly fishing after it became more difficult to cast with my bad hands and I have never caught so many fish! :lol: Now I would rather go to stillwater than a stream. The real advantage for me is I don't have to continually cast in order to get the fly in front of the fish.

GD

I'm really learning a lot from the "Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing" series that I have been watching on WFN. It is almost as good as the "New Fly Fisher"

Another Stillwater Sniper...