Water palming the reel.

O
OnTheFly
I had the pleasure to meet Brian Silvey one time on a Deschutes float trip that Bigsteel and lilsalmon took me on. I believe Brian knows where every fish is in that river and has somehow convinced each and every one of them to take his fly every cast. I think if the Deschutes ever dried up he could still catch fish in it. Anyhoot, I was web surfing and found this video of him demonstrating something I've never seen before. While playing a steelhead, he lowers the rod into the water during a run and lets the water friction do the 'palming' instead of using his own hand. I wonder if it's because he's tired of getting his thumb busted too many times with the reel handle.:D Nonetheless, I think it might be smart. Also, notice the fish takes Brian's line through the running line and well into his backing a couple times. I have GOT to hook into one of those some day.:pray:
http://vimeo.com/48677675

J
JeannaJigs
His reel is flamin' hot from all those runs, gotta put the fire out somehow.

Last edited:
J
john montana
I have done that with carp...it works but I hate getting water on my glasses so I prefer to palm the reel by hand. It does look cool and make a great sound though!

C
ChezJfrey
I've also seen videos of some carp guys doing the same thing. I always figured it served dual purposes: provide a little more drag friction and cut down any heat build-up in the reel/drag mechanisms from extended runs.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
They should make a blender attachment for fly reels so you can whip up Margaritas mid stream.

J
john montana
It really does work, but my absolute pet peeve is getting water on my glasses. My costa's are the most important piece of gear that I own, and you can't see through a drop of water. I have been known to yell at a carp that has the balls to splash me in the face while I am releasing him. Hah...

Reactions: eggs
J
JeannaJigs
OnTheFly said:
They should make a blender attachment for fly reels so you can whip up Margaritas mid stream.

mid stream margaritas sound epic. I should've put a margarita mixer in my boat. Dammit.

john montana said:
It really does work, but my absolute pet peeve is getting water on my glasses. My costa's are the most important piece of gear that I own, and you can't see through a drop of water. I have been known to yell at a carp that has the balls to splash me in the face while I am releasing him. Hah...

Carp have balls? :shock:

O
OnTheFly
F
flocaster
Somehow I get the feeling that carp mc nuggets wouldn't be a big seller LOL

Reactions: OnTheFly
J
JeannaJigs
*vomits*

F
flocaster
Sorry if the mental imagery was too much for you Jeanna!

troutdude
troutdude
flocaster said:
Somehow I get the feeling that carp mc nuggets wouldn't be a big seller LOL

They're just a smaller rendition, of Rocky Mountain Oysters! :lol:

P.S. Jeanna...you DID ask us if Carp have balls. So, its our sworn duty--and proper due diligence--to answer the question as best as we can. :shock:

Last edited:
F
flocaster
Well said troutdude

F
FlyBum
Great Video! Those chromers sure do pull hard! I've had a pretty good time down on the D over August! I've hooked at least one each time down. I've only been able to land 3 so far, but last Saturday my buddy and I went 4 for 7 and this last weekend I went 1 for 3, blowing one up on the DRY FLY! :shock:

B
bigsteel
nice video,Brian is definitely an animal on that river

S
steelheadstalker31
Couldn't you just tighten your drag?

H
halibuthitman
Water palming is a tech for clicker reels and salmon reels that cannot be palmed, i would personally shy away from putting a palmable disc drag reel in the river on purpose, but if your an old school pfhuegar fan or hardy fan its a prett useful trick.

F
FlyBum
And..... That is a Hardy Reel!