Video link: Siuslaw king salmon, almost

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
this is the video from our lost king this Tuesday, it came up later in the thread "Siuslaw 0 for 1" (I lost a much smaller king the previous Tuesday). The video missed it but we got a good look at the fish as I brought the front end up out of the water but it was too soon and just a little too far out and the net hit it square in the side and well, we know what that usually means...it was a big fish...

I had my GOPRO in a chest mount but didn't realize that I had started it recording...I hope you enjoy the action and the sound of my reel when it runs, sorry about the ending... :(

we learned a lot from this, it was our first chance at netting a big king, and it will make us a better fishing team, we already have a new netting communication approach ready for next week! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Admin
D
DYJ
sooooooo close!:clap:

Got my blood flowin. Next weekend will be my first trip out this year, can't wait.

H
hawgslayer
Almost had it !!! That's okay. There's plenty of fish out there to get. You live and you learn. At least now you know what not to do. Tight Lines for this weekend !!!!

S
steelheadstalker31
It looked like you might have tightened your drag near the end of the fight, if so, that is a no no, if not, then never mind:)

Reactions: ChezJfrey
C
ChezJfrey
steelheadstalker31 said:
It looked like you might have tightened your drag near the end of the fight, if so, that is a no no, if not, then never mind:)

I made that mistake a couple times at the beginning of this year...do the exact opposite!

Less line out = slightly looser drag. A trick I read about that works much better.

S
salsinker
Once you miss a big one like that you will always remember what not to do the next time. The good thing about this is experience is the next time.

Y
Yogidabear
ChezJfrey said:
I made that mistake a couple times at the beginning of this year...do the exact opposite!

Less line out = slightly looser drag. A trick I read about that works much better.

ditto

H
hawgcaller
I couldn't see but I bet that the net had something to do with the loss of that fish more than the drag.

M
mikeredding
I can't get the video to load.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hawgcaller said:
I couldn't see but I bet that the net had something to do with the loss of that fish more than the drag.

I think you nailed it, as I will explain next, but being careful with the drag is for sure part of what we took away from this: don't look at any netting opportunity as an all or nothing thing that must happen, watch carefully to the postioning of the fish and how it is acting, back off and let it run if it isn't time to net, then bring it in again and try again...

at the end of the video, we quickly noticed that my wife was holding the net up near the hoop and thus could not extend it out as need to get under the fish, she needs to get one hand back on the foam grip at the handle end and the other along it. we were 5 for 5 netting coho last season but they are like netting trout compared to these monsters.

this fish took a whole herring on 2 hook rig and was hooked on the lower hook. so after the net hoop hit it in the side, it slid down and arched away, the loose upper hook caught in the netting at the hoop and that let him snap the 20# line between the hooks...the drag really didn't come into play at the end but I probably had it too tight due to being too committed to this specific netting opportunity.

really appreciate all the comments! roger

M
mikeredding
I got it to work. Thanks for posting. It has happened to all of us at one point or another. Try to take it in stride as a learning opportunity. I know we did on the one we lost last weekend. Had it to the boat twice and failed to net it.

S
steelheadstalker31
20lb is to light for kings, I would recommend 30lb pline cxx.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
steelheadstalker31 said:

I agree, the suggestion is appreciated and I will be getting some new 'King' hook rigs tied up for next week... roger

J
joem
steelheadstalker31 said:

last year we landed one that was close to 40 lbs on 10 lb line. and this year we will be fishing 12lb line for falls. it has nothing really to do with line it has to do with drag and how you fight them. my biggest fish is a 25lb springer and i got him on an 8lb leader.

advice you prbably already know. if the fish aint facin you or it aint almost dead dont try and net it. never net a fish from the back it is a recipe for loosing fish. bring the fish in head first and stick the net infront of his face. fish can't swim backwards so its a done deal then. and never mess with the drag in the middle or end of a fight only in the begining if it really needs it. i have made this mistake more than once. nice video though going to try and get out there soon.

H
hawgcaller
I think you were handling up on him just fine, I think that fish was still a little to hot to net. Fight that thing to the death next time, I am sure you were gonna bonk him anyhow. What a great video though, I bet that was a giant!

S
steelheadstalker31
I'm sure you landed a big salmon on 10lb, but you weren't trolling with 6oz of lead and a flasher. Don't give advice for situations your not familiar with.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Joems comment had nothing to do with trolling mr. Know it all. He just talking about the fight and getting it to the net. I'm surprised you represent steelhead stalkers with such pissy comments like this.

steelheadstalker31 said:
I'm sure you landed a big salmon on 10lb, but you weren't trolling with 6oz of lead and a flasher. Don't give advice for situations your not familiar with.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
easy guys, let's remember who the screw-up is in this thread: ME....

jamisonace
jamisonace
hawgcaller said:
I think you were handling up on him just fine, I think that fish was still a little to hot to net. Fight that thing to the death next time, I am sure you were gonna bonk him anyhow. What a great video though, I bet that was a giant!

I agree. 2 or 3 runs later and it might have slid into the net on its side. I've horsed them to the boat with 20lb pline while they were hot and got lucky at the net considering it was my 8 yr old netting but if I did it again I'd have given the fish more time.

E
eugene1
Cool video roger, I can't add much to the discussion, but stuff happens. You got a nook on the line and that is the best part of the battle for me at least: the take!

I don't even care (well I kind of do) if we get the fish bagged or not anymore. Just the fact that you got one on your line/gear/bait is awesome!

I guess I will add that letting the fish play itself out is the rule on my boat. No need to do a rush job on anything. sure there are seals in the bay or it may get off wherever you are, but might as well just let the event play out and not be too stressed out about it.

Best,

ps. nice boat set up! I see you like to mod it like I do. Maybe post up your boat mods or give a link if you already have...