Using tippet...

J
jrbecca
Using tippet to hang outdoor Christmas decorations. Fly fishing sacrilege or brilliant creativity?

S
Spydeyrch
Hahahaha, that is a great idea!!! And to answer your question, I would say both!! :shock: hahahaha.

Take care.

-Spydey

P.S. ya know what would even make it better, if the decorations you were hanging were different flys (dries, nymphs, streamers, etc.) !!!! that would be AWESOME!!!! Kind of red-neck-ish but freakin' awesome!!! hahahahaha :lol:

V
vanbrunt
Only helpful if it's matched properly in size for perfect presentation :D

E
eggs
i always use tippet to hang stuff for the wife! she tends to like.. 7x floro..

O
OnTheFly
Neither. But there's nothing wrong with being resourceful. You just need to go out and fish more and perhaps apply that tippet to it's intended use.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
ive never used tippet, but ive sure used a couple of miles worth of backing around here..

jamisonace
jamisonace
Fishing line gets used at my house for everything from tooth extractions to home repairs.

O
OnTheFly
jamisonace said:
Fishing line gets used at my house for everything from tooth extractions to home repairs.
You need to get out more too. lol!

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
ive never used tippet, but ive sure used a couple of miles worth of backing around here..
woo carp.

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
eggs said:
i always use tippet to hang stuff for the wife! she tends to like.. 7x floro..

Can't speak to 7x, but I've used 6# stuff for 30 years. Little fiddly to get on/off but looks better than those little steel hook thingies.Another one that looks very cool is the fly tie mylar reflective tinsel. Strong as heck (doubled) and really reflects the tree lights. Taking down the tree? Just snip at the knot and toss it on your tie bench for later use.

Last edited:
J
jrbecca
Spydeyrch said:
P.S. ya know what would even make it better, if the decorations you were hanging were different flys (dries, nymphs, streamers, etc.) !!!! that would be AWESOME!!!! Kind of red-neck-ish but freakin' awesome!!! hahahahaha :lol:

Have you checked out halibuthitman's Christmas lights? He posted pictures on his blog's FB page. Really great. Now, if only he found some festive prom dresses to hang from the line for daytime enjoyment. :)

vanbrunt said:
Only helpful if it's matched properly in size for perfect presentation :D

Cute. ;)

OnTheFly said:
Neither. But there's nothing wrong with being resourceful. You just need to go out and fish more and perhaps apply that tippet to it's intended use.

And I'm working on it. I just need some friendly peer pressure to get out on the water again. This baby is draining me of all energy. (Must be a boy for that very reason. ;) We find out with 100% certainty tomorrow.)

jamisonace said:

OMG. I hurt just thinking about that. Ow...

Considering that I get people stopping in the street to compliment the decor, I'd say the tippet worked great, although it almost depleted me of my 5x...