Upper Willamette sturgeon question

R
rainORsnow1
So since the retention is no more I am going above the falls to try for em before they close it too. I have caught a million sturgeon. Just never done the retention. I know about the mercury warnings. Not a big deal to me. Plus I don't eat much fish.
So I've done a ton of research and know a couple spots in canby. Just need all the info I can get. I'm taking sturgeon virgins with me so I want to get into at least a few. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
E
eugene1
Seems like below the falls would be a better chance to get the newbies into them? Just C and R the sturg. Never heard about much success up above, just rumors and rumors of rumors.

Good luck,

G
gold_smokie
we sturgeon fish the willamette by harrisburg it is pretty slow sturgeon fishing we hook into 1 a day on a good day but majority of them are almighty sturgeons 10 footers plus

R
rainORsnow1
Sorry. I've taken them to the falls. So they are semi virgins I guess. But they got the itch and have heard how good they taste. Plus the falls will be ten minutes away for later in the day

T
troutmasta
Ive only fished em above the falls never beneath.
I always go out of newberg head up river 1/4 mile look for holes this is actually a good time. good luck- TM

this is in Dec. in Newberg not the fattest but legal.

Last edited:
S
Steelyfishn
I fished near OR City last Saturday we C & R'd 27 between 3 of us. Only saw 2 other boats too. It was my first time sturgeon fishing what a blast!!! not a lot of time for pics to busy baiting up and catchin, but I managed to get 1. This was definitely not the biggest we caught Saturday but from 20 inches on up they are a fun fish to catch. My 1st Sturgeon 2012.jpg