Underlining Royal Wulff Ambush on a 5wt

J
JHawk
Has anyone tried underlining Royal Wulff Ambush line on a 5wt rod? I picked up the 5wt of the Ambush line and, when you get the entire head out, that line seems awful heavy on my 5wt. Sage. It's great for roll casting, but false casting is a lot of work. I'm wondering what a 3wt Ambush might cast like on a 5wt rod?

M
mlw
Sounds just right for single hand spey casting - with that line you shouldn't need much false casting, what is your intended use?
When in doubt, I consult my friendly local flyshop :)
Michael

J
JHawk
Just some general stream work with some still water thrown in for fun. I'm a newbie and I thought it would be easier to feel the rod loading with a shorter head. But, the 5wt line is heavy. I've also been using Rio Grand 5/6, which is a nice line.

M
mlw
JHawk - good thinking on the rod loading. The Rio grand line you have is a half line weight heavier than a normal 5 wt (hence the 5-6 designation), and should work fine for normal fly casting. The Ambush line is a perfect line to learn to haul (and double haul) - which is how most guys use it - short back cast with a haul and it will fly - or for the really clever, a spey cast with haul. Check out some videos on single hand spey casting, and do some reading on it - there is a bit of a learning curve to it, but it is an effective way to fish many Oregon rivers, as finding fishing spots with room for a back cast can be difficult :) The single best way to practice fly casting is to tie a bit of yarn to your tippet and find a nice green park lawn to practice on - no distractions from those pesky trout.
Michael

B
bigsteel
I have used the ambush line for about a year now,its both good and bad,if you plan on nymphing heavy bugs all the time then its a great line but for dry flies i really hate it,it doesn't give you the best presentation,i have gone back to the scientific anglers trout line and im happy with it.