Two-handed?

D
DWFII
Anyone into switch rods or spey rods on this forum?

O
OnTheFly
A lot of us do myself included. Contact Ninja2010 for the best authority on it IMO.

W
wozniasm
I have a switch. Still learning to use it. As Onthefly mentioned, Ninja2010 is the man!
I need to get with him sometime to hone my skills...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Jimmy is quite the hand. It is fun watch him cast. He is modest for sure but it it is a sheare pleasure to watch him cast a perry polk!

D
DWFII
So what rods are most people using? Switch rods? The longer Spey rods? Is it Scandi lines or Skagit? Or something else?

And most importantly, with regard to chromes, what rivers is everyone fishing?

W
wozniasm
DWFII said:
So what rods are most people using? Switch rods? The longer Spey rods? Is it Scandi lines or Skagit? Or something else?

I have a Cabells's 11' 3" switch. Cabela's calls it a spey but it doesn't have much of a butt length as other rods have. I bought it back east for the relocation here with limited info but I like it.
I think Skagit is correct but not 100% sure.

D
DWFII
wozniasm said:
I have a Cabells's 11' 3" switch. Cabela's calls it a spey but it doesn't have much of a butt length as other rods have. I bought it back east for the relocation here with limited info but I like it.
I think Skagit is correct but not 100% sure.

I am just getting back into flyfishing after a 10 year + hiatus. I am only 5'8" and had been fishing 10 foot rods for steelhead for many years. Eventually it got to me (shoulders and neck) and I just couldn't do it anymore...ended up having periodic cortisone shots for a year or two.

When I was told about...and started looking into...switch rods, I got excited all over again.

I have had one 2 hr lesson and have purchased a Beulah Platinum 10'8" for a 7wt and a Lamson large arbor reel. I am going to be throwing a 400gr. Skagit head. The fly shop here in Redmond had to order the reel and is waiting on a shipment from Rio. So I haven't had this rig out or even put together.

I know there's a pretty steep learning curve for someone like me with a lot of habits and expectations that worked OK with one handed rods but work against you when casting two-handed.

But it's a new adventure.

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
DWFII said:

DWFII... glad to see another 2-hander on the forum. i love 2-handed rods because it takes much less effort to get your flies out without needing much (if any) back cast room. like you, i started with single handers, but before long, discovered the ease of casting with 2-handers and i've never looked back. I've even modified one of my trout rods into a 2-hander, until my recent acquisition of a 3/4 wt trout switch.

the selection of rods is very much a personal preference but having said that, the switch rod is more suited for tighter waters and the longer spey is better when you have more room. i have both, and i use both, and i love them both. you have a very sweet setup, with the beulah switch and lamson. the platinum is very progressive, so it's very much a skagit rod. your 400 gr would work well with all kinds of tips - float, sink, intermediate. i've never casted the platinum, but i've read that it's a very forgiving and versatile stick.

i learned the skagit style of casting (water borne anchor) and find that to be the easiest to learn (timing is not too critical) and most suitable for our waters in oregon. a skagit setup can handle all sizes of flies and only needs very little room to set up and execute the cast. one can learn the basics in 1/2 hour and with a little bit of practice, be able to launch dead chickens across the river in no time at all (not that one needs to...)

the scandi is a little trickier to master (for me) because it's a touch-and-go style of casting, not unlike the traditional spey casts. timing is crucial and, unless you're geared with a heavy setup (aka "tiring setup") one is limited to smaller/lighter flies only. so, i never pursued that venture.

as far as rivers for chromes, well, your switch rod will work on any river where these fish swim. I use my switch on the upper wilson, nestucca, upper clack, and generally when the rivers run high and i can't wade far from the bank. i pull out the spey when i have more room - deschutes, lower clack, sandy, etc. you get the idea. the longer spey is a little more powerful and a little easier to mend line as i swing, but it is a little heavier than the switch. but i can fish either rod on any river, all day long without feeling any fatigue whether i was throwing intruders or green butt skunks.

do not be intimidated by the 2-hander. there is no "steep learning curve" if you learn the basics well. for lack of a better analogy, i'd venture to liken the process to learning how to use chopsticks. you don't have to "unlearn" how to use the fork and knife, you're just learning a new way to get the food from your plate to your mouth... all we're doing with either style of fly rod, is getting the fly out.

feel free to ask any questions. i'm sure the collective knowledge of members on this forum could help alleviate any apprehensions that come with starting a new adventure. and if we get to share a stretch of water, i'd be more than happy to share what little i know about the 2-handed rod.

D
DWFII
ninja2010 said:
DWFII... glad to see another 2-hander on the forum.

feel free to ask any questions. i'm sure the collective knowledge of members on this forum could help alleviate any apprehensions that come with starting a new adventure. and if we get to share a stretch of water, i'd be more than happy to share what little i know about the 2-handed rod.

Thank you for the welcome. I bought Skagit Master I & II--that's my homework for this weekend (while I'm waiting for the flyshop to pull everything together for me) and then I hope to get out to a nearby pond for some practice casting. I'm about 80 miles from Maupin and of course the good water (at this time of the year) is further downstream.

I have a student at the time and except for, perhaps, a Sunday day trip, I won't get out for any serious fishing until October. Of course, that's prime time, so that's OK

I used to fish over on the N. and S. Santiam a lot. Dave McNeese introduced me to a number of good runs on the north but I haven't been over there for all these years and don't know how the river (or the access) has changed. But I was really fond of that race of fish esp. for the table.

I've fished the N. Umpqua more than a little as well but again things can change a lot in ten years. And I'm looking forward to seeing if Lobster Creek is still good for ha'pounders.

I've never fished the Wilson or the Nestucca or the Calckamas, although I've always wanted to. I've only been on the Sandy once...nada, bumbling around for the most part. Love to learn more about those rivers and maybe even witness the early stages of some winter runs over there. It's hard to get over the mountains during the winter months.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
N
ninja2010
DWFII said:
I bought Skagit Master I & II--that's my homework for this weekend

well, well... you're definitely on the fast track to success there. ed ward "taught" me everything i know. master the perry poke and you'll be the skagit master - very powerful, tight and accurate cast.

when you're practicing at a pond, make sure you're in the water, or at least kneel down if you're on a dock. it's important to get the "feel" right when you're starting out. if you practice being too high, when you get in the river, you might blow your casts with too much stick in the water when you're knee deep or deeper.

good luck out there. remember, (perfect) practice makes perfect. if you can have a camera setup to video your practice casts, you can be your own best coach.

and here's a tip... slooooow down. if you think you're going too slow, sloooow down some more. let the rod do the work. you don't need to push it. just let the rod do the work.

p.s. we might be able to meet up in october... swinging for steel on the big d.

D
DWFII
Good advice...someone gave me very similar (if not identical advice :D ) on another forum...I know I have a lot to learn.

And, thank you for the invite...I'd like that.

N
ninja2010
i was gonna suggest that other site... glad you're already there. the wealth of knowledge there is phenomenal...

some very nice flies, btw.

D
DWFII
ninja2010 said:
i was gonna suggest that other site... glad you're already there. the wealth of knowledge there is phenomenal...

some very nice flies, btw.

Thank you for that. I quit tying about the same time I quit fishing...for much the same reason. But I had some good stuff. I used to tie everything with polar bear and seals fur--nature's own optic fibers. The guy that mentored me gave me some interesting material and hooks as well. I had some TUE bronze salmon hooks that were, I believe pre-WWII--Alcocks, as I recall. And some lovely TUE gold low water salmon hooks in a time when gold hooks were impossible to find here in the US. I tied some pretty Golden Demons with them. Still have a few.

Frankly, I'm more confused with the current trends materials in vogue among flytyers...esp. those who tie steelhead or salmon flies...than I am at the new techniques being employed by switch-rodders. Trey Combs book was nearly my bible and I don't know what to make of the flies being sold commercially. But since I don't tie anymore that's all that's left to me to fill my fly boxes.