Twin Lakes Bull of the Woods

F
Fahuwagoz
Anybody catch anything decent out of there? I fished the west lake this weekend and caught a bunch of 5-7 inchers. I also hiked up to Scout lake in Jefferson park. No signs of life except a lil brookie in the stream flowing out of Park Lake. Anyone have tips on fishing for the larger pond brookies this time of year? In my past experience fishing mountain ponds, I've never had such lousy luck but then again, I mostly fished the Rockies.

N
n8r1
Fahuwagoz said:
Anybody catch anything decent out of there? I fished the west lake this weekend and caught a bunch of 5-7 inchers. I also hiked up to Scout lake in Jefferson park. No signs of life except a lil brookie in the stream flowing out of Park Lake. Anyone have tips on fishing for the larger pond brookies this time of year? In my past experience fishing mountain ponds, I've never had such lousy luck but then again, I mostly fished the Rockies.

You picked a pretty small, isolated, obscure lake so you probably won't get a lot of responses. However, you found one of my favorite backpacking destinations, so I'll give you a little info.

Both Twin Lakes are full of tiny brookies. You aren't doing anything wrong, they just aren't very big in there. The fish were put in there years ago and have scratched out an existance, similar to many of the hard-to-find high lakes located around Mt Jefferson. A trophy fish out of those lakes is anything over 9".

If you look in this picture, in the dead center between the trees you can see a little wood and debris on the bank. This is the best camping spot and also the best place to launch a small inflatable boat. If you want to fish either lake more easily, a small inflatable canoe or float tube is your best bet.

In my opinion, Lower (east) Twin Lake is the easiest to fish without a boat. There is a huge rock that goes into the lake that you can fish from and not have a bunch of trees and branches in your way. The fish are the same size in both lakes though.

One thing to remember is that both lakes are LOADED with crawfish. If you don't mind killing a brookie or 2, they make excellent bait. Otherwise, catfood works well too.

• Upper Twin Lake.jpg
  • Crawdads.jpg
Reactions: Raincatcher
N
n8r1
Also, just out of curiosity, what route did you take into the Twin Lakes? In my opinion, starting at Elk Lake is the easiest and I've done that hike a few times. Difficult terrain but it's only 4 miles each way. The last time we went, we started at a trailhead further North, hiked up to that old abandoned fire watch station, then took the Mother Lode Trail down, crossed the valley, and hiked back up. 21 miles in 2 days. It was fun, but brutal. I was sore for days.

F
Fahuwagoz
Thank you for your reply n8r1. We took the trail up from Elk Lake. I'm bummed that those brookies don't get bigger up in there. I did't get to fish the lower lake but I can imagine it is just as splendidly scenic. They ought to stock some cutthroat or rainbows in there. When you say "those lakes" do you mean all the brook trout lakes in the area have dinky fish or just twin lakes? I would like to explore more of those hike in Bull of the Woods lakes as well as the ones up near Jefferson. I've never caught a brookie much larger than 13" so I would get pretty excited at the prospect of finding a lake or lakes that would hold some that size or larger. I don't mind a hard hike to find fish as the anticipation is half the fun as well as finding new spots. I've been spoiled fishing hike in lakes in the Rockies. I've always gotten fish either in good size or number no matter where I went. Those have mainly been cutthroat or rainbows though. I have a decent fishing guide book for Colorado that has been pretty accurate. I have two for Oregon, the 10th addition of "Fishing in Oregon" by Madelynne Sheehan, and "Complete Anglers Guide to Oregon" by John Shewey. Are these the best out there? Would you recommend any others? They seem overly optimistic about fish sizes but then again I haven't fished many places.

I've been perplexed that it's possible to fish high lakes "too early" as in Wisconsin and in the Rockies the earlier the better, right after ice out even. I'm wondering if they are more heavily fished and luck depends on fishing in proximity to stocking or they have poor food sources or what. I hope to get a float tube eventually. I'm not familiar with fishing with sinking fly line and patterns but I've talked to several folks who've gotten lunkers on zug bugs and the like. Oh, as far as the crayfish go, when you see punctured tuna fish cans laying around river banks and lake shores, is that what they're used for? Catching crayfish? Thanks for pics!

F
Fahuwagoz
Thanks a lot!