Trolling Motor Ideas

Grant22
Grant22
So I’m going to be getting a 16’ G3 in the next month and my thought was to get a nice electric trolling motor with spot lock to use instead of a kicker because the boats so light. I’m pretty sure I want a bow mount so it’s out of the way. I guess my main question is if anybody has any experience with the remote control trolling motors versus a foot pedal one because I like the idea of being able to be hands free in the back of the boat and not have to deal with reaching down and messing with the motor and also so that the spot lock will hold the boat straight in the current on say the Willamette or the Columbia.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have had a MinnKota Riptide 55#/12v with GPS/Autolock/remote on the bow of our old 16' Alumacraft since about 2017 and absolutely love it. Running it from the back with the remote works great, the AutoLock e-anchor works great to hold us in place when crabbing on the Siuslaw in moving tidewater in the lower river or casting spinners in Siltcoos on a windy day. It's also great for salmon trolling as it will pull the boat along on a fixed course that I can adjust for speed and direction easily with the remote. I do carry extra remote batteries, Duracell, not Harbor Freight. lol

In fact, I like the remote control/e-anchoring so much that I recently added it to my Hobie Outback kayak for tidewater trolling/crabbing using the AutoBoat system that adds GPS/e-anchoring and remote control (using either a remote or phone app) to a small electric trolling motor:

https://tbnation.net/products/autoboat-gps-trolling-motor-anchor-system

I went with a Newport Vessels 36# motor that I clamp on their transom mount that bolted right on the stern of my Outback (hull has embedded nuts for power pole anchors or motor mounts like this), the AutoBoat let me remove the entire top of the motor:

https://newportvessels.com/collections/trolling-motors/products/kayak-series-kayak-trolling-motor

Recently tested this out on lower CoosBay to crab and bottom fish the submerged jetty in strong outgoing tide/current and results were amazing.

• stern.jpg
00Swede
00Swede
They are an expensive toy, but if you can swing it I highly recommend it. Mine is a Motor guide, 24 volt, 80#, for a 19 foot aluminum Koffler. This will only be my 3rd year with it and can't imagine not having it now.
It came with foot control and remote but I have never even used the foot pedal.
The Anchor mode is great but the auto pilot is equally impressive, especially fishing alone. No more getting blown off course by wind or current if your distracted for a few moments.
Make sure you don't go too short and look into lithium batteries (12V, 100AH). The 2 lithium batteries I have are now down $189 each on Amazon.

Diehard
Diehard
I would steer away from the electric if your gonna be doing a lot of heavy trolling youll find yourself out of the game in short order especially if your bucking wind with that being said there great my friend runs one on his drift boat when we are down fishing the siletz i love my yamaha 8hp kicker and couldnt see myself without it for salmon fishing good luck