Topwater plugs for silvers...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
recent STS magazine has a good article on this and the video is cool- silvers chasing surface plugs and taking several whacks at them...Rebel Pop-r, Heddon Zara, Mouse plugs, Chug Bugs...

has anyone tried floating plugs for salmon?

I am convinced this will work at Siltcoos, maybe even in the Siuslaw when the coho are busy splashing around near shore...I am in the process of gathering a bunch of these at low cost in clear and bone (not the most popular colors!) to redecorate in coho colors (having a crafty/artistic wife really helps at times..), stay tuned...cheers, roger

http://youtu.be/5gvil5ljlTw

B
billfisher
Good find Roger, that would be fun. I'll be trying that out!

S
Stonefish
Cool video.
Not plugs, but I've caught a number of coho in the saltwater using topwater flies.
it is pretty cool watching the big wake come up be and inhale your fly. Cutthroat and bull trout eat them as well.
i know guys also catch coho in rivers using pink pollywog flies.
SF

jamisonace
jamisonace
Most of my coho this year were caught in the top 18" of the water column so I don't see why this wouldn't work. Looks like a lot of fun

B
brewer
I've had them swipe at jigs or spinners up top when I am burning them back in to recast. I've never been sure if they are following them from deeper at the start of the retrieve or if they are picking them up at the end. My problem has always been staying cool enough to not pull it out of their mouth. I did throw in some plugs the last couple days I went out during coho season just never got around to trying them. Seems like it would be a really fun way to fish.

F
flocaster
First coho I ever caught was on a Hot Shot but it wasn't even moving! lol We had the boat stopped while the others were checking their gear and it was just bobbing on the surface about 30 feet behind the boat when the fish came up from below, crashed it like it was a dry fly and then went straight for the bottom

F
flocaster
Awesome video too by the way

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Coho Top Water Poppers

Coho Top Water Poppers

my first set of coho poppers, planning to add some prism tape and contrasting colors...

I used Spike-it "Blade and Spoon" dip to color these clear or white plugs, works great and fast: dip, pull out, dab dropplets OFF the bottom, dry almost immediately. I have also used it on a bunch spinner blades and they look great also...

Last edited by a moderator:
C
Camo
Roger! Your'e driving me crazy!

I have always fished ''deep'' for silvers, even when I saw them jumping. I never thought about surface popping. This just might be the answer to a long thought about question. Good presentation and a good surface plug is definitely worth the try!

:)

Top Bottom