Tired of steelhead pics?

A
alm21
NEVER! But here's something for a change of pace. Spa-Spa-SPRINGER!

IMG_0915_zpsf21fbbb0.jpg

IMG_0908_zpsde083a49.jpg

IMG_0909_zpse7b9f4ba.jpg

Reactions: waco
W
waco
Wow you are the first one! Congrats! Now there is prove they are here!

A
alm21
Salmon fisherman will hate me. Steelheaders will love me. I'll be back to chasing steel this week. I love to hate myself anyway.

S
Scott M
Great pic! Thanks for giving me the boot to get back out on the river!!

Y
Yogidabear
Nice fish how long will it take them to get in the mckenzie?

E
eugene1
About time to get some nooks back on the board! Awesome, alm!!! It's been too long since the last fall fish were caught.

Willy or C fish?

S
steelie_killa
Looks like the willy at rivervilla park...thats my guess anyways

S
Silvers&Steelies
Very nice. Been hearing about it but good to see someone getting a nook.

J
jabs67
WoW!!! Very nice nook for sure!!!! :cool:

B
billfisher
Woot! Woot! :yay:

F
fuson22
Awesome awesome beautiful fish! I have fished the Willamette up there in Portland for springers a good handfull of times over the years. But I live in Springfield so I have the Willy and the McKenzie in my back yard. So from about June-My Bow Elk season starts I usually stay pretty close to home and I can tag 3 chinook a day, BANK FISHING! And the steelhead are also in full-swing at the same exact time in BOTH rivers, So it's rare that I travel during that time of year to fish. But as you guy's already probably know, the Chinook aren't in the best shape by the time they get all the way up here. It's not rare at all to land a hunk of a Chinook with a head that's been beat to hell by rocks during it's travels. Or to land one that has either a good size chunk missing from it's body, or has a big ol' seal bite mark on both sides of it's body. Then on top of that, the further into the summer it gets the worse the quality of the Salmon is. I'd say probably 2 out of 5 are good chrome "keep-able" fish. The other 3 out of that 5 are either beat up and chewed on by seals it's just sad. A lot of them I dont even like to touch with my hands because they are so damn stinky! So I'll grab the hook with my needle nose and pop the hook out and set it on it's way without having to really touch the stinkies at all. So now that I have a boat of my own that I've taken out there in Portland fishing monster catch/release sturgeon and pullin up the anchor and letting it drag us around out there. I want to get out there mid March and troll for some big ol' FRESH, Bright, Hard fighting springers. I've never taken MY boat out and fished these Spring Chinook before. I've always been a guest on a buddies boat. So I've been doing my homework on the best bait to use, what gear will be needed, and what technique's work best around that part of the Willy. It's exiting to see that people are already catching some good fish already! So I'm very stoked up to get out there and get on it! If anyone has any tip's, advice, tactics you don't mind sharing it would be GRATEFULLY appreciated! Thanks-

A
alm21
Hey Fuson, considering I don't own a boat, if you have an open seat, I'll chip in on gas, bring bait, gear, beer (or not) and whatever limited knowledge I have. Like all aspects of fishing, learn and apply the proven techniques, know the conditions, don't be lazy by not changing things up and always keep an open mind to trying something different.

And yes, it was the Willamette but that's all I'm going to say right now. I've said too much already. ;)

B
bran_man
Yogidabear said:
Nice fish how long will it take them to get in the mckenzie?

They usually don't start getting thick in the Mac till about June.may will be good too as well I would imagine

F
Fish-N-Chips
Nice one dude!! Spin-n-glos and prawns huh? You have been slaughtering the fish!!! Nicely done!