The "REEL" debate

T
Tom Finn
So I'm lookin into getting a new reel, but I wanted to see what ya'll liked best before I drop the dough. I've been fishing mostly for steelhead, and have been lookin at the low profile baitcasters, only problem is that there are TONS of options. I want somthin that will last me years, lookin at max. $200. Any advice is appreciated :think:

Y
youngbuck307
If I could do it agen I would get a revo.... Diawa Tierra I have is great and love it though. Just revo has lil more drag ( don't need it for steelhead) but can always put braid on a revo and use it on a nook bobber rod. Would save u from buying another reel for that like I did... Can't say what revo is best as i'm not sure on that.

D
dan88
Abu garcia revo sx is the way to go!

brandon4455
brandon4455
dan88 said:

any abu garcia baitcaster will fish well, and a lot of them dont cost too much

W
waco
Shimano is and always have been the best!!! :lol:

N
Ntofishing
waco said:
Shimano is and always have been the best!!! :lol:

I agree. I have stuck with Shimano from early on and they have never failed me.

Troutski
Troutski
Ntofishing said:
I agree. I have stuck with Shimano from early on and they have never failed me.

Here, here......:clap::clap:

Chuck

R
RunWithSasquatch
Shoot, any of the new low pro's are good reels, sanz something that costs $40 at Bi-mart. Ive had good experiences with the Revo line, a lot of my friends use them, and I have one. The Shimano Citica is a good reel for the money, its probably comparable to the Curado of the past. Curados are a chunk of change, but I wouldnt be afraid to drop $150 on a used one. All good reels.

I'll be interested to hear what you get!

Last edited:
N
n8r1
dan88 said:

This is the reel I use & I love it. I have 50 lb braided floating mainline on it so like youngbuck said, I can easily switch from steelies to 'nooks. Just swap it from my steel rod to my salmon rod & I'm good to go!

G
GDBrown
Gear Ratio

Gear Ratio

I understand the desire for a low profile reel but one thing most of us want is something that is reliable and long lasting. My experience is that most low profile baitcasters are geared higher and therefore retrieve line faster but that translates to less power and more stress on the reel. So whichever you decide on be sure you consider the gear ratio with what you are fishing for.
I made the mistake of using my only baitcaster (bass reel) for fall Chinook on the coast when I first moved to Oregon. I hooked into a 30# plus fish and it broke my reel. I had it fixed and thought it was just a bad gear until I did it again the next year!:shock:

Just $0.02 more to think about,

GD

R
RunWithSasquatch
Im not sure what reel you had, but sounds unfortunate! Gear malfunction in the field sucks.

A lot of the newer low pros can handle the bigger fish just fine! Especially the revo's.... some in that line are rated at 24lbs of drag force! which is a butt load, and with low gear ratio modles, they can drive some power... but even with the higher speed reels, (which are great for spinners, or catching up to your line slack when drift fishing) can be fine to use, if you know how to use your rod and reel and drag, you dont put a lot of force on your crank gears. Im gonna start changing a lot of mine over to lower pro modles for plug rods, and in river, just because of the added comfort in your hand.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
brandon4455 said:
any abu garcia baitcaster will fish well, and a lot of them dont cost too much

X2. Abu Garcia's are "reely" good for the $$$.

F
fish4life
I would go with the shimano citica. I have two curados and one citica and can't tell the difference except for the price.

T
Tom Finn
Thanks for the info!

C
colbypearson
not even gonna read the thread get a shimano curado 200e7 as my top choice

2nd. revo stx

Reactions: waco
N
NoobTooner
colbypearson said:
not even gonna read the thread get a shimano curado 200e7 as my top choice

2nd. revo stx

... and in that exact order!!!!

I've been on the banks chasing my old man from reiters pond on the skykomish to the small streams in bishop ca. since i was about 3. fishing every bait-cast the old man's bug compelled him to "need", praise and discard for the next hot new thing.
One thing i noticed though...
the shimanos have always stuck around. and over the years I've learned why.

they're the best...

hands down. (at least in the low pro category.)

abu has definitely stepped up to the plate with the new revo though. it's a damn fine reel and as you can see, A LOT of guys are swearing by em.
for me though.
drag ain't everything.

I currently run a curado on my 10-20lb lami and a chronarch 100b on my 8-12.
now I'm partial to my chronarch...
(it's prettier, cost more and the drag is like a hot knife across a warm stick of butter)
..it's definitely a step up.
but on those days when the inevitable rats nest puts the breaks on an otherwise perfect afternoon. i swap it out for the curado and have been surprised how many times i've asked myself.
"why did i pay so much for that damn chronarch?"
the curado is one sweet little "green machine".
tough, smooth, LIGHT! and the price tag..
how can you beat that?

...real close second for the stx though.
prob can't really go wrong ether way.