The cost of a steelhead

H
halibuthitman
I just finished doing my taxes and my wife cracked me off some numbers.. if you caculate gas, gear, travel, lodging and all things related in 2012 it cost me $37.45 per steelhead I caught last year, if you total the hours of driving and fishing for these enchantresses... if I would have put in the same amount of time at work at my hourly work rate I would have made an additional $58,000 in 2012... so in light of this I think I will take my wife to mcormick for a nice dinner and then I have a feeling we are going to the mall... I promised her I would try to get that fish cost down to $20... I blamed it all on sea lions, dams... and ODFW..;)

P
plumb2fish
I'm curious how many miles you hike per fish?

H
halibuthitman
wow... who knows? yesterday I started driving at 3:30 a.m.. got home at 9:15 p.m, and walked 16 miles went 1-2.. last year In Alaska I walked over 30 miles in a week in snow shoes.. I was one of the first people to fish the Situk last year, I was also the first person to cut tracks up the Karta on P.O.W and the Naha.. and every step and every dollar was worth it, Ive spent most of my money on Trucks, booze, boats and fishing trips... the rest of it....... I wasted-

B
BobbiDollPDX
halibuthitman said:
so in light of this I think I will take my wife to mcormick for a nice dinner and then I have a feeling we are going to the mall...

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and sometimes that equates to new shoes for the missus.

H
halibuthitman
I just checked and there is a pedometer app for the Iphone.... I will answer your question in twelve months:)

H
halibuthitman
BobbiDollPDX said:
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and sometimes that equates to new shoes for the missus.

ive spent more money on Kate Spade purses than flyrods... and I don't regret it one bit.. in the famous prose of Bob Dylon... "you gotta serve somebody"... and she's a tolorant and good master-

D
DYJ
do you live in Alaska HHM?

E
eugene1
Interesting and LOL analysis there, HHM. I don't have a timer on how much time I fish, if I could get a second job instead of fish I'm sure it would be fairly lucrative though. Maybe mention to the bookkeeper that you're hiking most of the time, not fishing. That'll get the $/ steelie down.

Best.

L
Lamiglas
Hmmmm....I parked behind a truck yesterday with a license plate that said "halibutht" or something of the sort. Probably just a coincidence, but maybe not!

H
halibuthitman
Lamiglas said:
Hmmmm....I parked behind a truck yesterday with a license plate that said "halibutht" or something of the sort. Probably just a coincidence, but maybe not!

If it was dark blue and parked in front of a bridge on the right hand side of the road it wasn't me.

Reactions: lilsalmon
A
alm21
I would venture to guess that I'd be around $374.50 per steelhead and those are numbers I don't want to crunch around my wife. That would equate to some serious handbag purchases.

T
Tacomasteelheader
yeah if your conservative about losing lures,drifts,bobbers,jigs, stuff like that i know a guy on here that has personally lost about a 1000$ worth of spinners this steelhead season alone!

1 nut in the water
I know some stupid, crazy fool that has had a stellar first year of steelheading but figures he is around $73 per fish landed............
Dumb idiot can't seem to get it out of his system yet either.

C_Run
C_Run
If I knew the cost per fish of my fish it would be a real depression evoker. I don't want to know. I don't even want to start thinking about it.

L
Lamiglas
halibuthitman said:
If it was dark blue and parked in front of a bridge on the right hand side of the road it wasn't me.

T'was indeed!

M
Moe
I take the city bus and bike/ hike into spots on the clack and sandy... so I'm not paying too much for my fish haha. By the time I get home from fishing every Saturday and the amount of work I put in just to get to the spots I fish, Sunday ain't enough to recover and I'm nearly paralyzed when I have to get up for school on mondays lol

Irishrover
Irishrover
It would be nice to be able to write all that expense off on your taxes!

Last edited:
D
DYJ
I figure I'm 37 dollars per fish just into beer... :D

H
halibuthitman
Irishrover said:
It would be nice to be able to write all that expense off on your taxes!

You can get that $60000 duckworth for the price of an alumaweld stryker if you do it right..

T
todd_brooks
I hope to get to the point some day that doing that calculation would be bearable. As it is theres no way in hell I want to know the answer. I'm to mush of a tight wad, It would keep me up at night questioning my sanity.

Tacomasteelheader said:
yeah if your conservative about losing lures,drifts,bobbers,jigs, stuff like that i know a guy on here that has personally lost about a 1000$ worth of spinners thSteelheadead season alone!
I'd say "he's" doing something wrong. Try using softer hooks VMC or the like, and heavier line. With a steady straight line pull you'll get a lot of em back by strighting the barb. Read Jed's spinner fishing book to, it'll only cost him about 8 spinner worth.