The best day...ever

S
stanster
My 13 year old stepson and I took a combo fly fishing class, drift boat trip with local guide Stan Stanton on the McKenzie on May 15. First time for both of us. WOW WOW WOW. What a day!! Geoff, my son, caught 20 trout. yep 20. I caught 9. Naturally, all were released. Stan is a great teacher and knows where the fish are. Beautiful day on the water as well. As we were leaving, Geoff turned to me and said, "Dad, this was the BEST day...ever." THAT paid for the trip right there. He now has a trout bum sticker on his school back back and a Muddler Minnow sitting on the trophy case with his baseball and karate trophies. I'll post some photos when I get around to scanning them. The bad part is not only do I have to buy a fly rig or two, but now I have to buy him one as well. (The secret is that every dime you spend on stuff like that is money you will likely NOT have to spend on attorneys, bail bonds, counselors and psycholigists later on.)

He's right. It was one of the best days ever - comparable to the first time my youngest daughters skied and my eldest daughter's first horse show.

B
bigsteel
very nice stanster,all it takes is 1 trout on the fly rod and he will be hooked as well as keeping himself out of trouble,the mckenzie is a beatiful river and im glad you guys had a great time,,lets see some pics!!!!!!

S
spark
You must have had a great time with your kid. Can you PM me his contact or website so I'd like to book fishing trip with my son. Thank you.

S
stanster
Comming atcha Spark. Funny, most of my kids have nicknames. I call my daughter "Sparky."

V
Van
Grats on a day your step son(and you) will cherish the rest of his life. Looks like there is a new young dedicated fly fisherman. Well done indeed. I am waiting until my son is old enough that i am able to do the same.

L
lilsalmon
Sounds like a nice trip. The Mckenzie is probably the best one to take him to for the first time. Good job!!!!

J
john montana
That is awesome.

troutdude
troutdude
Way to go...

DAD!

:D

troutdude
troutdude
troutdude said:
Way to go...

DAD!

:D

P.S. My step dad served as my drug pusher too!

Here I am some 45 years later; and I'm still addicted!!! :lol:

S
stanster
Here are the photos. You can see one very happy kid plus one happy old geezer. We each caught bigger fish than displayed, but I only had a few photos left in the disposable camera I brought.

001.jpggeofish1.jpgStanfish1.jpgStanfish2.jpgHere are the photos.