Tartar Sauce Recipe

Admin
Admin
Tartar sauce recipe

Tartar sauce is a classic accompaniment for fish dishes, known for its creamy texture and tangy flavor. Making your own tartar sauce at home is simple and allows you to adjust the flavors to your liking. Here's a basic recipe that you can customize:

Ingredients:​

• 1 cup of mayonnaise
  • 2-3 tablespoons of dill pickles, finely chopped (or substitute with sweet pickles for a different flavor)
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best)
  • 1 tablespoon of capers, drained and chopped (optional for an extra tangy flavor)
  • 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard (or substitute with whole grain mustard for texture)
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh dill, chopped (or 1 teaspoon of dried dill if fresh is not available)
  • 1 small shallot, finely minced (or substitute with 2 tablespoons of finely chopped red onion for a milder taste)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:​

1. Combine Ingredients: In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, chopped pickles, lemon juice, capers (if using), mustard, chopped dill, and minced shallot until well combined.
  2. Season: Taste the mixture and then season with salt and pepper according to your preferences. The capers and pickles usually add enough saltiness, so add salt cautiously.
  3. Chill: Cover and refrigerate the tartar sauce for at least 30 minutes before serving. This chilling time allows the flavors to meld together and intensify.
  4. Serve: Serve the tartar sauce alongside your favorite fish dishes, such as fried fish, grilled salmon, or fish cakes. It can also be used as a spread for fish sandwiches.

Tips for Customization:​

• Add Heat: For a spicy kick, add a few dashes of hot sauce or a bit of finely chopped jalapeño.
  • Herb Variations: Apart from dill, you can also use parsley or chives for a different herb flavor.
  • Creaminess Adjustment: For a lighter version, substitute half of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt.
  • Acidity Adjustment: Adjust the lemon juice to your taste, or substitute with white wine vinegar for a different acidic note.
Homemade tartar sauce not only tastes better than store-bought versions but also allows you to control the quality of ingredients used. Experiment with the ratios and additions to find your perfect tartar sauce recipe that complements your seafood dishes beautifully.

Reactions: troutdude, plumbertom and Irishrover
jamisonace
jamisonace
I like to thin mine out with pickle juice to hide the mayo flavor. Mine is very simple though. Finely chopped pickles and onion with Mayo and lemon. Thin with pickle juice and then add whatever flavor you want. I like sriracha.

Reactions: Casting Call and Admin