Tankera flies...

T
Trout-tacular!
I don't use a Tankera rod, doesn't really appeal to me to even try it, but I've been hearing about Tankera flies and how a lot of Tankera fishers just use one fly pattern. I'm always after new patterns to try, just don't know if these fly patterns are specific to Tankera and if so, why.

Does anyone have experience with tying or using Tankera flies?

F
fishing_mission
First time I have heard of these flies. They definitely look fishy after researching them a bit. They don't look to complicated to tie. Might have to try some

H
halibuthitman
nothing more than a soft hackle or spider with the hackle tied foreward.. they do work, but definitely not for spring creek or sophisticated fish- are you gonna buy a rod as well? seems to be growing in popularity.

T
Trout-tacular!
fishing_mission said:
First time I have heard of these flies. They definitely look fishy after researching them a bit. They don't look to complicated to tie. Might have to try some

Thats what I thought too. Looking fishy is what gets me to fish something.

halibuthitman said:
nothing more than a soft hackle or spider with the hackle tied foreward.. they do work, but definitely not for spring creek or sophisticated fish- are you gonna buy a rod as well? seems to be growing in popularity.

Well there goes using them on some of my rivers (Fall and Metolius). But the Crooked or perhaps around town on the Deschutes sound like good candidates for trying them. Thanks for the info HHM.

And no, I'm not really planning on getting a Tankera rod. I don't think its for me. Even though its a traditional Japanese style of fishing, it makes me think of dapping and wearing knickers skipping along and singing with milkmaids (If a Tankera fisher sees this comment I'll probably catch some hell).

L
Lamzy
I am not really interested in the rod but I have tyed some of the fly patterns I have seen vidios on tying them. I have yet to try any of them out but when and if the trout season opens I am sure going to give them a try.
The reverse hackle is said to flutter more and give the fly more action. We will see..

T
Trout-tacular!
Lamzy said:
I am not really interested in the rod but I have tyed some of the fly patterns I have seen vidios on tying them. I have yet to try any of them out but when and if the trout season opens I am sure going to give them a try.
The reverse hackle is said to flutter more and give the fly more action. We will see..

Yeah, with the reversed hack and that 'flutter' I was thinking the flies would be a good style to use for a crippled or emerger. Like a stuck emerger in a furry trying to escape its exoskeleton. That action should be enough to draw some attention.

And what's this "if the trout season opens" - I take it you're on the west side of the mountains. Maybe I'll whip some up and give them a whirl on the Crooked this weekend. Sorry - I had to mention it. Welcome to come over any time and fish here on the east side.

M
MattZ
Tenkara is very effective for small streams fishing. A good Tenkara fisherman can use that long rod to achieve excellent presentation. Tenkara flies are tied with this technique in mind. the placement of hackles and weight considers how a Tenkara fisherman fishes often with no line on the water, but with a direct connect to his or her fly. The long rod is used to guide the fly through riffles for the ultimate in drag free presentation. You can fish Tenkara flies standard or standard flies on a Tenkara setup. But Tenkara flies have been designed with specific technique in mind.

I have flies I have designed specifically to suit my fishing style, which is very long leader, very short cast, stealthy movements, and spotting fish. This means big airy flies don't work as they are less accurate and don't cast as well on a long leader. They also spook more fish than nymphs and emergers.