Surfin' perchin'

J
JeannaJigs
Never fished for surf perch. Decided this weekend before I delve into springer fishing, that I want to go coastal and try that surf perch gig for a change of pace. Any suggestions on where to go? I don't need coordinates to your secret honey hole of fish taco heaven, but would like to catch a couple for dinner and just want general recommendations. I live in eugene, willing to travel as far as Lincoln City but not much beyond there since low tide is early. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

R
RustyShackleford
Jeanna most folks including myself fish the incoming high tide. I usually start 2 hours before high tide through 2 hours after.

S
sapo
Ya the incoming high tide is when surf perch fishing is best for sure..
They're really all over the coast. I've tried sliding sinker setup but a big 3oz/4oz pyramid weight and two hooks above that on the main line seems to work the best. Gulp sandworms I've found most successful. The sliding sinker setup is really only successful if the surf is REALLY small, or you're able to cast to a hole right by the shore that has a lot of fish. So pretty much don't use that setup, pyramid weight is the way to go.
But ya for sure incoming high tide.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah I know the set up and to fish the incoming which means an early morning. Just was trying to narrow down an area versus the whole coast.

I'll just pick a spot and see what happens.

C
coyo7e
I've been recommended the Siltcoos Outflow by folks in Florence (went out there this weekend but forgot it was a Plover reserve so I couldn't leave my dog in the car in the sun and had to move on), and I've heard that the big flat rocks along Ocean Drive in Yachats are pretty good (I was there last weekend and the tide was too high and waves were way too big to go out there safely imho), and I was eyeballing the Tokatee Klootchman turnout between Florence and Yachats as well - it's a bit of a steep climb up and down and you'll want some boots, but I saw a bunch of folks fishing out there a couple weeks ago and it's one of the steeper and rockier beaches I know of without driving a couple hours north or south from Florence.

J
JeannaJigs
Ended up near lincoln city, but the fishing was pretty poor, only caught two. They were pretty good sized though based on what I've seen caught near where I was at. Ocean fish have disgusting stomach contents :-/ had to throw them in the freezer after the necropsy, too grossed out to eat them the same day.

a4bd920e9e6b10a4808bdf026562acef.jpg

C_Run
C_Run
Congratulations. Those things are a delicacy.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Got a limit in Florence today with some big ones!IMG_0637.JPGIMG_0640.JPG

F
Fishermen Jim
I caught my largest red tail perch this last weekend by the Columbia R. S. jetty. Dang thing measured 16" but I only caught 3.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Good eats and they make great ceveche!

F
Fishermen Jim
Surf Perch 16.jpg

my2labs
my2labs
Find low points on the beach with gravel on the shoreline.
Dig sand crabs below the wash line and fish for free.
I used to fish these commercially in super northern CA. Just took my wife out two months ago. It is really fun chasing red tail! I so miss the ocean

Last edited:
Top Bottom