Surf Perch help

J
JonT
Been putting in a lot of time this week on the late afternoon incoming tides. Fishing up and down around Newport. Casting mainly smaller clousers in the first set of breakers, but no luck so far. I know you don't have to cast that far to get them, and I've studied the rips and know what to look for, but I can't buy a fish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JT

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hey Jon! Have you tried changing your presentation or bait? Try two cast per location then move on if no take downs. Tony

Reactions: JonT
J
JonT
Casting Call said:
Hey Jon! Have you tried changing your presentation or bait? Try two cast per location then move on if no take downs. Tony
Indeed. I basically walked about a mile and a half stretch while doing the best I could with stripping and changed up colors quite a bit. All Clousers, though, and I have pretty good confidence in those pretty much everywhere. I do have a few sandflea flies I tied, but have yet to fish them.

G
Gulfstream
Are you fishing the "Holes" or just radon casting?

S
Slo
JonT,
Pick up some shrimp from the grocery store, or better yet some razor clams or mussels. Find some magic (stretchy) thread, and put the bait on your hook, followed by a few wraps of the thread. Some even put a drop or two of bait juice. I have had better luck with those baits vs the Gulp Sandworms. I agree with Tony, too. Sometimes, you have to try moving around to find the fish - but it sounds like you are doing that, too. . You might try up around Sunset Beach, or around the Peter Iredale. Yes, it is a bit of a drive for you, but I do that from Gresham. I haven't tried flies for surf perch, but I have seen it done, but usually out-fished by the bait fishers. If you don't want to drive up that far, there are a few spots around Lincoln City that have been pretty decent, too. But your mileage my vary. But truthfully, it's all "hit or miss, or you should have been here yesterday". Anyway, tight lines to you, and good luck.

Reactions: JonT
J
JonT
Gulfstream said:
Are you fishing the "Holes" or just radon casting?
Trying to hit the holes and rips, but still learning about reading the surf a bit.

Reactions: Slo
G
Gulfstream
Sounds like you are in the right area.Keep moving until you find them.Only other suggestion would be to try new beaches,Good Luck

Reactions: JonT and Casting Call
J
JonT
Gulfstream said:
Sounds like you are in the right area.Keep moving until you find them.Only other suggestion would be to try new beaches,Good Luck
Back at it this weekend!

S
Slo
Well, that was a bust. Went out to Sunset Beach, out of Seaside, yesterday. Got there just as the tide was turning. We used raw shrimp, along with Gulp Sandworms on the other hook. We must have fished for couple hours, up and down the beach. As luck would have it, only my wife caught anything, a Starry Flounder, about a foot long and pretty thick. Well, as that was her fish, into the cooler it went. Not sure if there will even be enough meat to make one taco, but she was happy. But razor clams were a NO-SHOW. Between the 3 of us, we clammed for about an hour and half, and were able to come up with 10 total ! Most of the show holes we dug only held SAND CRABS. Oh well, that's why they call it fishing and clamming, and not CATCHING.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Never knew your location! Now best spots says PK Is beaches north of the Jetty. Good luck Tony.