Super-Dupers - under rated?

Z
ztubs
This lure and the cyclone Thompson spoon have been the 2 most producing actual lures, that in around 13ish years ive come to know and love when it comes to trout fishing. Stockers, Natives (big and small), rainbows, browns, cutts, go somewhat ape **** when presented ither silver\chrome or bronze\gold depending on the time of day.

I could almost say, if you go out on a small trip. You have these 2 lures in 2 colors, you will catch trout. ( Giving somewhat of the right water conditions. )

1\4oz all day on 4lb test, decent ultra light rod to whip it good.

O
OnTheFly
I fully agree. The Super Duper has caught many fish for me back in my spinner days. It was as much as a goto lure for trout for me then as a Crytsal Bugger is for me today.

Z
ztubs
OnTheFly said:
I fully agree. The Super Duper has caught many fish for me back in my spinner days. It was as much as a goto lure for trout for me then as a Crytsal Bugger is for me today.

Root beer? Ive seen a bunch of those little 6 stiff legg'd larva things, 4 - 5mm heads, down to a 2-3mm but, length is ~15 - 30. Ide suggest for a "fly" ( I usta do some tying, but just practicing so I was never conformed to just a certain way of doing anything) a bronze\gold bead, with yarn wrapped up to the outer radius of the head ( I would almost braid thread together brown\white to do the majority of the body( maybe some orange because of that moss on the banks, and under rocks, its like a dark orange.) grab some of those little things you use to hold tags on to clothing for legs, 3 - 4 a side, mainly orange or darker colors inside the yarn)) I think that would be killer, depending on weight since I "kick rocks" to find the aquatic life.

troutdude
troutdude
Man that last post is ultra confusing.

Anyway...I am pretty sure that in a Field & Stream article back in '06...the Super Duper was one of the 50 best lures of All Time.

R
rippin fish lips
troutdude said:
Man that last post is ultra confusing.

Yeah it sure was!! I have fished 1 super duper with no luck at all. Are they more of a stillwater lure??

troutdude
troutdude
I haven't used super dupers a whole lot myself. But, I'm gonna start using them. Maybe try some big ones, trolling at Hagg Lake. They are listed--along with a few other lures--as a "go to" lure for Hagg (in a Luhr Jensen tech report). So, if they work well trolling, they are likely good in streams.

O
OnTheFly
ztubs was describing tying a fly using only materials he thought matched what he found and observed there at the water. I thought he was clear.

Anyhoot, I have used a Super Duper on moving water and it was just as productive on the swing as a Roostertail or Mepps if not better.

Z
ztubs
OnTheFly said:
ztubs was describing tying a fly using only materials he thought matched what he found and observed there at the water. I thought he was clear.

Anyhoot, I have used a Super Duper on moving water and it was just as productive on the swing as a Roostertail or Mepps if not better.

Bingo, decent idea? doable? Dupers, are the same as a spoon in a technique respect. You can straight retrieve, jig, and troll them. My favorite technique for fishing them in current is the upstream 45degree cast, retrieve, dead drift while jigging.

Z
ztubs
Made this thread, on the simple fact that this lure is the only thing ive used that not only one but 8 or 9 decent sized rainbows, and today countless little ones. Upgrades, I would recommend small red treb's.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm glad that you told me, that they work well in streams. IDK if I've tried that or not. But, will have to do so.

There is also another tech report that shows Super Dupers; as an effective spoon for Hagg Lake. I tried to post it; but cannot seem to post a .pdf file. If I can find it online, I'll add it here.

Z
ztubs
troutdude said:
I'm glad that you told me, that they work well in streams. IDK if I've tried that or not. But, will have to do so.

There is also another tech report that shows Super Dupers; as an effective spoon for Hagg Lake. I tried to post it; but cannot seem to post a .pdf file. If I can find it online, I'll add it here.

Shoot, my pleasure. Open information is my goal for life. That another reason behind postin for mechanic services. Any time you go out bankin or fishin in general, ide be down for some quality spin fishin with someone familiar with the area!

S
sunsalem
I noticed the SD and the Cripplure look very similiar...
How do the compare when going after trout?

Z
ztubs
sunsalem said:
I noticed the SD and the Cripplure look very similiar...
How do the compare when going after trout?

I have 2 of these, SD counts 15 - 30 fish so far in OR all out of that spot under the i-5 on the Mac, Cripp hasnt been fished as much, but for good reason, count 0.

Z
ztubs
Would any of you happen to know some basic colors, tried and true, for lure choice out here? This is the last thing I am missing, I'm getting bites from my presentation while using a spoon, super duper, but usually always bronze or silver, red tip. I might just get some powder paint and do my own. 0.o