Sucking shrimp

H
hunt-fish-trap
has anyone gone a sucked shrimp out of Tillymook. And if you have I need details. if not at the mook well then where. I plan on hitting it hard when the weather starts being nice and any good advise will get rewarded

S
salmon_slayer87
hunt-fish-trap said:
has anyone gone a sucked shrimp out of Tillymook. And if you have I need details. if not at the mook well then where. I plan on hitting it hard when the weather starts being nice and any good advise will get rewarded

I have never been to tillamook bay, but i have pumped quite a few sand shrimp out of the walport bay area. once lowtide hits...just keep trying to locate them. they will be there somewhere. its a blast once you find them.
Good Luck.
Dale

J
jawjacker
First go out and find some shrimp beds at low tide which I'm sure there are plenty in T-Bay. Just look for a buch of holes in the sand & start pumping. Persistence pays off it might be slow going at first but you will find them. Then try and concentrate your effort when there is an inch or two of water on those beds on an out going tide when ever that might be. For example I know of a few spots down in Coos Bay that used to be good & I would go there an hour or so after high slack depending on the hight of the tide and use the water to my advantage to aid in sucking the shrimp out of their holes. As the tide gets lower and the beds get drier it becomes much more difficult to achieve good suction and I think the shrimp crawl deeper down their tunnels. Get your self a basket with at least a 16" diameter and small enough holes that the shrimp can't escape. Zip tie a pool weenie around the top of the basket so it floats up right and tether it off to your belt loop and drag it along beside you. Then all ya got to do is pump the shrimp in the basket the sand will filter through with a light kick or two. Not bending over for every shrimp saves your back for slaying the hawgs. Check out Alvey pumps there 1 of the best. There actually made by the Shakespeare brand everyone is probably familiar with but in Australia. They also call um yabbies or nippers over there so search those words if you want more info or want to see some video's of how its done.

H
hunt-fish-trap
awesome reply's guys thanks, when I start sucking these things its gunna be shrimps for all

C
chrisohm
When looking for the holes, look for small holes about the size of a pen tip. You will see them grouped together and they will move deeper or closer to the water as the tide goes out. You may even find a few clams here and there. Most of those holes will be about the same size. You should hit up the local tackle store for local info, maybe if you are near a library or bookstore find "Fishing in Oregon". It has great info on all the bays!

B
bythesea
I like pumping in a couple inches of water too when you spit em out it washes em off.I took a plastic gal milk jug and cut a nice size hole out off the top leaving all the handle,,tie something to it and clip it to your belt loop.you only have to stick the pump a couple inches into the sand.....If you don't pick-em up QUICKLY the seaguls will !!!

Last edited:
J
juggernaut506
I do it in Tillamook every time I sturgeon fish there. Try the south west side of the bay.

B
Born2Fish55
juggernaut506 said:
I do it in Tillamook every time I sturgeon fish there. Try the south west side of the bay.

Mud flats over by Crab Harbor are pretty good.... anywhere off of BayOcean Road by Cape Meares Lake all the way up by BayOcean Peninsula Parking lot always produce well. I built a couple of Slurp Guns and can get a bunch in twenty minutes or so.

J
juggernaut506
I was out there today averaging two or three per hole.

H
hunt-fish-trap
I built a couple of Slurp Guns
how did you build these and what is the diameter

B
Born2Fish55
Slurp guns... part I

Slurp guns... part I

:) Strange you should ask... I am preparing to launch a complete tutorial in my blog on the World Fishing Network!
Here is a quick series of photos that will give you an idea... ;)

Photo series one....
Purchase PVC pipe size of your choice, cut to size and dry fit all of the pieces...
Cut the Rubber ball and check for fit and seal...
File and smooth surfaces as required...

**continued in part II

• SlurpGun4.jpg
  • DSCF0255.jpg
  • DSCF0258.jpg
  • DSCF0261.jpg
  • DSCF0263.jpg
  • DSCF0265.jpg
  • DSCF0278.jpg
  • DSCF0279.jpg
  • DSCF0281.jpg
  • DSCF0286.jpg
B
Born2Fish55
Slurp Gun... part II

Slurp Gun... part II

And away we go again... part II of the Slurp Gun :cool:

Take a look at 'juggernaut506' post and you will see the same basic design... my WFN blog will have a lot more detail under the title, "DIY Mud Shrimp gun - a.k.a. Slurp Gun!" by Mack Rhoades, Pacific NW... I would post the link, but I do not think the moderators like that too much!:rolleyes:

I will add some more photos of the working model tomorrow and some later on of it in use at Tillamook Bay ( I got 10# of Mud Shrimp during the last low tide series and then 'stepped' to the other side and fished the incoming for Surf Perch and a Black Rockbass over Cape Meares) !!!

Anyway, if the 'Powers that be' give me their consent, I will post it and lead you to many more items of insight like this!!! :think:

Last edited: