Strange sportsman-like techniques?

T
Tai
It was a nice day on the river today, and I usually take my youth cousin out to enjoy some fishing. Which is quite nice, considering most kids his age are either glued to video games or their cell phones. As for the fishing today, we were able to hook into 4 fish but was only able to pull in two. I noticed that the commotion brought in a fellow on a pontoon, who we cordially shared the hole with. After he watched us pull in our last catch, he moved his pontoon closer to the hole and within one cast he nailed one.

We both watched as he reeled his catch within netting distance, and than stopped. He appeared to examining it a bit, than the fish splashed away, and he once again reeled it back in. We looked away for a moment and assumed that he was able to get the fish back. Once we looked back we notice that it appeared he was just sitting there staring at the water again, and the water splashed and the fish jumped away again. Once again he reeled the fish in close enough, but just stared at it. He did that for about a dozen times, until it finally went belly up and he reeled it all the way in. Next thing we notice, is a belly up fish floating down river.

My young cousin was beside himself, wondering how someone could just play fish to death, than just toss it aside. I am also quite curious on what the situation was and if anyone has ever done the same. It just seemed so awkward to do something like that, If it was native, then why not get it in quickly and break it off? If it wasn't, than why not just break it off and let someone else have a chance at catching it? I'm pretty confused.

B
Backtrolling
His behavior is definitely strange. Could you identify the fish as a steelhead? If he was using bait the fish may have swallowed the hook really deep and he was hoping the fish would come loose. A lot of people don't know it is better to just cut the line close to the hook and it will fall out in a day or two. If he was purposely trying to kill it then call the tip line ad report what you saw. If your concerned enough to post it here that's what I'd do.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i would have asked the guy what he was doing and waited for an explanation.

what a ****ing moron.

C
cowboysfan
He should have been drawn and Quartered, no matter what he was doing that is just WRONG!!! see thread what grinds your gears

F
fredaevans
brandon4455 said:
i would have asked the guy what he was doing and waited for an explanation.

what a ****ing moron.

Totally agree with your last statement Brandon; but as to the first I can't think of a single thing he could have said that ..........

N
ninja2010
one cannot explain what goes through a killer's mind while committing murder...