Stick a fork in it!

A
Aton
I hope I'm wrong...but the Siuslaw is done (never really happened) for the year. HOW BAD IS IT? thanks for asking...IT'S SO BAD... I was up there Saturday and Sunday and not a single boat ran their plugs through the water I was drifting :confusion::confusion::confusion:

Save the ink typing and telling me that you...or so and so is having a great year up there. Sure some people are, balls bounce your way sometimes. Tom Brady thinks it was a great football season.:bleh:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Sorry Aton. If I'd known you were there I would have happily dropped anchor in your drift. :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
just for fun, here is the ODFW catch data for Winter Steelhead on the Slaw+Lake Creek going back to 2000, this graph is fish caught in Jan, Feb, March, and first 15 days of April. Weather clearly has an effect on when fish are caught but on average, March is about 35% of Jan or Feb.

Average per month all 14 years: Jan- 536 Feb- 559 March- 210 April- 7

Average per month just the last 5 years: Jan- 783 Feb- 756 March- 262 April- 3

So average annual catch for last 5 years: 1804! not bad, IMO, for a volunteer run hatchery program...:)

hobster
hobster
I'm suprised any boats can still get through the river up there it' so low. Never really happened is pretty accurate, there were some good days but you had to time it right. I got one on friday on a #3 blue fox but it was a fairly dark buck so he went back. Me and a couple of buddies had a ................ wait, i'll save the ink.
If i won the superbowl i'd think it was a great football season too ;).

A
Aton
hobster said:
I'm suprised any boats can still get through the river up there it' so low. Never really happened is pretty accurate, there were some good days but you had to time it right. I got one on friday on a #3 blue fox but it was a fairly dark buck so he went back. Me and a couple of buddies had a ................ wait, i'll save the ink.
If i won the superbowl i'd think it was a great football season too ;).

Yeah your right about water/boats. They like it above 5½'. The thing is, I prefer 6 fow also. Yeah, for whatever reason, they were biting on Friday, Blue Fox got the job done for me also. I know where you are fishing...guys have been clobbering them down there. I'm still slightly perplexed why the fish go there, but that hole produces. Nobody is even fishing the beaches on the other side, nothing getting hooked over there (go figure). Obviously a water thing as well!!!

A
Aton
rogerdodger said:
not bad, IMO, for a volunteer run hatchery program...:)

Agreed! Thank you for the time and effort you guys put in!

It sounds like Letz Creek is going to get back in action after the water woes they have had which will be a shot in the arm as well.

S
Steelheader4Life
I'm still finding plenty of fish North of you guys on the coast. My boat went 5 for 7 yesterday but we did spend all day running two floats.

hobster
hobster
Aton said:
Yeah your right about water/boats. They like it above 5½'. The thing is, I prefer 6 fow also. Yeah, for whatever reason, they were biting on Friday, Blue Fox got the job done for me also. I know where you are fishing...guys have been clobbering them down there. I'm still slightly perplexed why the fish go there, but that hole produces. Nobody is even fishing the beaches on the other side, nothing getting hooked over there (go figure). Obviously a water thing as well!!!

I fish a lot of holes up there but that one is my favorite. Nice meeting you by the way and thanks for the eggs!

A
Aton
hobster said:
I fish a lot of holes up there but that one is my favorite. Nice meeting you by the way and thanks for the eggs!

Likewise, good to meet you, I've been meaning to stop and say howdy...I'm guessing (could be wrong)...no fish up there? I tried many spots, ended up over halfway to Swisshome...not a sniff...maybe the full moon is killing the bite.

N
Native Fisher
My own experience and those I have talked to show mostly kelts except some fresh wild fish, in the coos, coquille systems as well. It's march though, peak spawning is typically mid to late febuaray, so soon vast schools of kelts will form and provide another month of entertainment...I hear the lings are biting at the jetties, maybe I will try that.

hobster
hobster
Aton said:
Likewise, good to meet you, I've been meaning to stop and say howdy...I'm guessing (could be wrong)...no fish up there? I tried many spots, ended up over halfway to Swisshome...not a sniff...maybe the full moon is killing the bite.

wish i could say i got one on your eggs but i didn't see any hooked all day. I hit several spots and did quite a bit of hiking, crossed the river in a few spots because it was so low. Didn't fish very hard but had a nice day and got plenty of exercise. Life is getting busy, might get up there 1 or 2 more times and then i'll be done for the season. I'll stop by and say hey if i see your truck.