Steelhead spinner tip

H
halibuthitman
over years of casting spinners for steelhead I have come to a conclusion, and then proved it time and time again... nothing should be attached to a treble hook. Mepps and some other builders love the lame plastic tubes that slide over the shaft of a hook... cut it off, red roostertails are deadly for winter steel... bangtails as well, pull out your knife and cut the lame feathers off the hook, they cause short strikes and impede the hook set, nothing is required on the hook of any spinner and most of the garbage closes the gap of the hook and causes shallow hook sets. Siwash hooks are cool but often break or you get dozens of missed hits, they often cause horrible deep wounds and result in bleeders in native fish, I have started to pinch my barbs on treble hooks to help release fish and it doesn't seem to affect the stick rate at all. so cut all that unneeded garbage off you hooks... trust me-;) Brad-

Reactions: OnTheFly and RunWithSasquatch
R
RunWithSasquatch
Thanks for the tips Brad.

Can we expect this as a weekly early morning Saturday read, like a series?

H
halibuthitman
perhaps... unfortunately I only have about 2 more saturdays worth of knowledge...:rolleyes:

R
RunWithSasquatch
halibuthitman said:
perhaps... unfortunately I only have about 2 more saturdays worth of knowledge...:rolleyes:

:lol:

S
skunk
Thanks for the tip. I'm just starting with spinners for steel so I will need all the help I can get.

A
alm21
You've peaked my interest as I haven't used Rooster Tails since, well seems like forever. I'll have to give this a try. What size do you prefer and are you talking about the Sonic, Vibric or Original? Tx