Steelhead run in Silk Creek? (Cottage Grove area)

J
Jig'n
Has anyone ever heard of a Steelhead run in Silk Creek that runs through Cottage Grove? While planting trees the other day I spotted 4 Steelhead that appeared to be spawning, this was about 4 (driving) miles out of Cottage Grove.

Jig'n

U
Username
only one way to find out.

Last edited:
J
Jig'n
Silk Creek is on the West side of the freeway and is a trib of the Coast Fork Willamette.

T
TTFishon
Why would you want to fish for them? Why not leave them alone and let them finish their journey? I don't understand why a person would even bring any attention the this place, but that's just me.

J
Jig'n
I don't want to fish for them! I was just shocked to see Steelhead in a stream that's the size of a ditch. This is the reason I really don't post much on Forums, people assume too much and get all bent out of shape before they have all the facts! Nowhere in my post did it say anything about fishing!

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I'm not bent out of shape at all. lol I knew I shouldn't have said anything. When I first saw this post a while ago I told myself "don't say it, just let this thread die" I guess I couldn't help myself today. Just the fact of you posting this place brings attention. And worse, the fact that I decided to speak my opinion brings attention. Now , really. I have to look at myself too. I mean, how many people that read this will actually head up to that creek to snatch up a fish? Probably not many. So, sorry if I suffer from foot in mouth syndrome. It's just my initial thoughts when someone brings up a place on an internet forum where many eyes will read.

U
Username
if anyone actually wants to catch steelhead around cg isn't the place to do it...lol
if your talking about the spot i think your talking about you can't fish there any way.

Last edited:
J
Jig'n
If anyone tries to fish it, good luck because the whole creek is overgrown with berries and other brush with absolutely no bank to stand on and I'd say almost all the stream is on private property. The reason I brought it up was because I was wondering if anyone knew of an actual run on this stream/ditch or were these just some stray fish that took a wrong turn during high water? No intentions to fish it here, plus I think it would be almost impossible to fish it.

U
Username
Jig'n said:
If anyone tries to fish it, good luck because the whole creek is overgrown with berries and other brush with absolutely no bank to stand on and I'd say almost all the stream is on private property. The reason I brought it up was because I was wondering if anyone knew of an actual run on this stream/ditch or were these just some stray fish that took a wrong turn during high water? No intentions to fish it here, plus I think it would be almost impossible to fish it.

more like some stray fish. you can go to any river in oregon and probably find a steelhead or two.
its a damn shame though that the fish and game killed off the salmon run years ago.

T
TTFishon
I wonder if the 200,000 salmon smolts ODFW are planting in the Coast Fork will have any effect? Pretty cool find,really.

J
Jig'n
Like I said earlier, It was pretty shocking to see these fish. I was planting a few trees and heard a splash, thought it was the beaver that lived just upstream.

B
bigthackara
There are a butt load of strays in the grove, and they are successfully reproducing regardless of what odfw says. Sounds like a cool sight to behold, you are lucky to have seen that!

U
Username
TTFishon said:
I wonder if the 200,000 salmon smolts ODFW are planting in the Coast Fork will have any effect? Pretty cool find,really.

god i wish salmon would run in cg again. it was before my time but i heard about it,lol.
don't know why odfw killed them out.