Steelhead in deep very slow moving water

H
Honeycutt
I recently found some steelhead in a deep hole with verry slow curent and i am not really sure how to present my fly? they werent just holding deep a few of them were prettyclose to the surface and the rest on the bottom any help on how to approach this would b appreciated, thanks.

S
steelhead1
Steel that are hanging low and are not very active can be very tough to persuade,especially with a fly. I have had success in this scenario by sneaking up on the pool,and with as little movement as possible,throwing clouser type flies and letting them sink,then a slow jerking retrieve. You wont get too many chances with this,once you are made,its over. First and last light are when these fish will be the most active,and probably your best chance at hookin up. :D

R
rippin fish lips
steelhead1 said:
Steel that are hanging low and are not very active can be very tough to persuade,especially with a fly. I have had success in this scenario by sneaking up on the pool,and with as little movement as possible,throwing clouser type flies and letting them sink,then a slow jerking retrieve. You wont get too many chances with this,once you are made,its over. First and last light are when these fish will be the most active,and probably your best chance at hookin up. :D

Not to mention, the fish should be holding a little lower in the poool which should make it that much easier to hook into one. But we all know how that can end up...

A
abel
I would leave these fish alone as they are not usually good fly opportunities. They are usually in a dour mood. Look for steelhead runs that are about walking speed and 3-5 ft. deep. Start at the top of the run and work your way down a step or two after each cast. Keep moving and cover as much water as you can.

E
eggs
Toss rocks! Haha

H
halibuthitman