Steelhead in Albany

C
COUNTRYBOY83
Hey guys.... My wife and I are up in Albany on a job interview the 27th and 28th. I am planning on fishing the last couple hours of daylight on the 27 and maybe the 28th if it's decent action. Never been there before. Any locations? Advice? Or someone wanting to earn some beer for their time to show me a decent area? I have a lot of fishing experience, but not with steelhead or the area. Wanted to get a guide but probably not worth anyone's time for 2-3 hours. Thanks!

Nate

C_Run
C_Run
The Alsea River would be your closest river from Albany and it will take you an hour to drive over.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've never fished it but the Santiam might work...or maybe it's too early. Less of a drive than the Alsea.

N
Native Fisher
I know the santiam gets a small winter run of wild fish that must be released, but my understanding is that it is incredibly hard to find fish unless you know exactly where they go. If you can swing the extra hour go to the alsea, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother fishing...

troutdude
troutdude
The South Santiam, is closest to Albany. It is open all year, for "adipose fin-clipped" steelhead. But, I don't think that, there are many fish in the winter run. Winter steelhead fishing, is largely a coastal stream show.

jamisonace
jamisonace
You might be right about the Santiam but I've heard different. I used to work with a guy that lived up there and he told me the winter run is very good. Im not making a case, just sharing what I've heard.

Native Fisher said:
I know the santiam gets a small winter run of wild fish that must be released, but my understanding is that it is incredibly hard to find fish unless you know exactly where they go. If you can swing the extra hour go to the alsea, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother fishing...

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe they do have a good run, of winter fish. A call to Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, might help to know for sure.

S
Shorty
South Santiam would not be a good choice in late Jan. Has run of native winters, but it would be a little early for them. Also river has been running high and off color. Alsea is your best bet. Upper Alsea is fairly close to Albany area--maybe an hour away.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Here's a better idea. Given your time available to fish, the Alsea is too far. The Santiam is much closer but isn't the best option for access.

Nail the interview, accept the offer and fish the rest of the year at leisure.

E
eugene1
Sound advice!

Good luck on the interview, countryboy! Lots of great fishing in that area for sure.

jamisonace said:
Here's a better idea. Given your time available to fish, the Alsea is too far. The Santiam is much closer but isn't the best option for access.

Nail the interview, accept the offer and fish the rest of the year at leisure.

C
COUNTRYBOY83
eugene1 said:
Sound advice!

Good luck on the interview, countryboy! Lots of great fishing in that area for sure.

I like that idea! Maybe I'll just bring some ultra light rigs and see what I can do with trout or whatever... Then enjoy some local craft beer ;) !!!!

troutdude
troutdude
There's a ton of craft beers, in our area. Many OSU graduates, come from a brewing program. There is also Two Towns Cider, just east of Corvallis (about 15 minutes from Albany)...and they have a tasting room.

Be careful about trout fishing. Most of our streams are closed, until they open in March or April.