Steelhead help...

E
Explorer21
I have never caught a summer steelhead from the Clackamas, maybe its cause I don't know where they hold up. I have tried numerous amounts of spots with no success for the past couple years. Which I know it's not how I fish because I can go to the Wilson and catch one almost everytime. Maybe message me a good spot to try. I have jigs, spoons, spinners, corkie and yarn if needed. Help me out please...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh, I feel your pain and anguish...lol. You think you've found the perfect spot, riffles leading to deep, dark holes roiling with sneaky steel after a few days of rain and the water has cleared just enough that you are positive you see fish in that hole. :pray: You try every technique you've ever heard or read about. Use everything in your arsenal and all you get is...nuttin', honey. :wall: I wish I could give you all the secret honey holes and teach you to become an ultimate Fish Whisperer. Alas, I cannot. I can encourage you to check out the archives in this section and maybe do a search for "urban hawg map" to level the playing field. I can tell you to keep at it and learn as much as you can about the river, which can take years of determination. :confused: Actually, that all sounds like the best I can do. :shy: Maybe someone else will OFFer better advice...

T
Tinker
Make at least 50-casts a week, continue for eight years, and Ya-HOO!

I have no advice to offer since I'm still seven years away from my first, and I have definitely seen the little poops hiding and arogantly sniffing at and then ignoring everything I can think of to dangle in front of their noses. If it goes on to the ninth year, I'm switching to dynamite...

S
Silvers&Steelies
I haven't landed a summer on the Clackamas this year either. I haven't been out much and I even saw some and couldn't manage to get them to bite. Caught some decent trout.

C
ChezJfrey
This time of year, from Barton on up to McIver is a good bet...look for broken water and seams.

As for catching them, don't ask me because for some reason, I am losing more than a fair share this year. Went 0 for 1 on hookups this last Sunday on a 1/3 oz. brass spoon, colored black...had it on the line, then came unbuttoned after about a minute. I am about 5 for 9 on summers...just can't seem to keep 'em on the line! Ugh!

E
Explorer21
Hit Mciver last sunday, saw plenty of fish roll. But no one i saw caught anything but trout. Caught some nice trout myself but still no chrome. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

T
troutmasta
Explorer21 said:
I have never caught a summer steelhead from the Clackamas, maybe its cause I don't know where they hold up. I have tried numerous amounts of spots with no success for the past couple years. Which I know it's not how I fish because I can go to the Wilson and catch one almost everytime. Maybe message me a good spot to try. I have jigs, spoons, spinners, corkie and yarn if needed. Help me out please...

I fish the snot out of both the Wilson and the Clack.
They are two entirely different beasts. Fish in the wilson are very agressive and fresh and are powering up white water all day, therefore eating a lot. Also most steel are still in "trout" mode in the wilson eating any thing in there way being lets say "less selective" because most of the time they are very fresh in the system coming right OFF the ocean. The fish in the clack are a litte more worn and tired. Thats not to say there arent some 20 pound monsters in there chrome as a rim. But, the majority of fish are looking to spawn and be done with it. They still do have to travel and need to get some food but they are , lets just say "much more selective".

In my experiance you have to have you presentation pretty close to perfect to get those clack fish on. Once you find a spot though and master it, you can pull a good amount of fish out of that system. Springes and Steel.
My advice is go above the crowds. There is a nice 2 mile stretch of river starting at Faraday dam in estacada and going up river.

Like CHez said look for seams in the water. Target the top end of the water right beneath the rapid this is where the aggresive fish will be. Also the seems of back eddies and any other place a traveling fish could take a break and grab a bite to eat.
Good Luck -TM

Also I floated Barton to Carver on my tube and saw probably 50-70 steel and springers. The river is stacked!

T
troutmasta
also I just realized everything I've got this year has been on 8 or 10 pound test

E
Explorer21
Breaking news!!! This just in!!!!

The clack has my white flag!

C
ChezJfrey
Explorer21 said:
Breaking news!!! This just in!!!!

The clack has my white flag!

Never say die! I'm far from a Clack expert, but the only way I got one is to keep trying. I couldn't get a steel in 2011. Hooked 37 in 2012, and so far, 30 in 2013. I hooked and lost one on the Clack on 7/14, and landed one on 7/21. Not a stellar month, but it can be done. I think things are just tough right now on that river, as I've spotted plenty, but many are just unwilling.

It might get a little easier if the water temp comes down this weekend with the predicted clouds and cooler weather.

E
Explorer21
I'm 0 for two years. The clack is a lost cause to me. Hate saying it but it is

S
Silvers&Steelies
Don't give up. It's been toug for me too. I haven't landed a keeper since December and my last steelhead was an unclipped fish in March on the Clack.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I have also seen a lot of fish rolling and some being caught. Just not biting my lures. I had one on 2 weeks ago, feisty rolling fish and broke my leader after a couple of jumps. Other than that I haven't had much action from the Clackamas.

E
Explorer21
Maybe next year I'll try the clack again. I'm done this year. My favorite river has called me now.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I almost feel the same way. I still try because it's so close. Might start trying the Sandy again if it isn't too murky.

E
Explorer21
Ya I'm heading to the Wilson. I'd rather waste gas money and have a great chance then little to no chance close to me lol

T
troutmasta
Wilson is still way low.

Free drift some eggs if you have any on the clack. Fish the deadline at faraday people are catching em'.

Ill split gas to the wilson this fall and slay some nooks.

E
Explorer21
Ya the Wilson is low but I still would do better lol. I'm excited for the fall nooks. I hooked into 3 last year on my only trip out there. Lost them cause I only had size 1 hooks on me :(

T
troutmasta
I run 20 pound leader and a 5/0 hook for nooks on the Wilson

E
Explorer21
Ya i run a 25lb fluorocarbon leader with 30 braided for the nooks with size 3/0 hooks. I thought I had some but was wrong, poor planing on my part. But did get a nice silver on there.